Wednesday, December 28, 2005
News staff writer
December 14, 2005
With first place finishes in their respective races from Erin Jones, Kari Hidle, Megan Flem, Peter Debbaut and Zed Debbaut, the Eagles’ swim team had a solid showing on Thursday against Gresham High School. The meet was close and both teams swam fairly fast for this early in the season. In the process of posting 26 personal records for the team, the girls defeated Gresham 86-81 and the boys lost 86-81.
“It was a good day,” Coach Jane Nichols said. “It was the first time for the team to be at an away competition together. Walking into enemy territory puts butterflies in stomachs. But they did great. It was great to see them rally and work through it together.”
Their rallying included first place finishes in the boys’ and girls’ 400-meter freestyle relay, first in the boys’ 200-meter medley relay and individual wins from the swimmers mentioned above.
According to Nichols, Gresham’s team consists largely of year-round swimmers, which brings confidence to the Hood River squad of almost entirely seasonal swimmers.
The team goes on the road to Eastern Oregon this weekend, where they will take on La Grande.
“It should be a fun trip,” Nichols said. “It will be good in getting the kids experience for events they want to swim at districts. We’re always working towards districts. Meets are just steps along the way.”
More like this story
- Union Update
- ‘Superheroes’ come running: CASA holds fourth annual Fun Run Oct. 9
- Roald Dahl Trivia Challenge is Oct. 21
- EnviroGorge Kids announces summer writing winners
- Tribal members protest Nestlé deal in Salem
- Downtown walking tours return Sept. 26
- Fresh Start program holds graduates’ dinner Oct. 19
- ‘Genealogy Jamboree’ at Discovery Center Oct. 8
- Church News: Concert at Tucker Rd. Baptist Sunday
- Odell Creek restoration presentation
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge