Wednesday, November 2, 2005
June 22, 2005
Ground, a coffee shop located at 12 Oak St. in the old Holstein’s building, is open for business.
Following their grand opening celebration during First Friday in April, the business at Ground has taken off. They offer such specials as Sushi Night on Wednesdays and Thursdays and complete breakfast and lunch menus.
“The concept is to keep the local coffee shop feel, but update the environment,” said co-owner Greg Johnson. “We wanted to create a more retro feel with the space.”
Johnson also pointed out unique features, such as bamboo floors and biodegradable building materials. “The sides of the counters are made from pressed wheat grass,” said Johnson. “They don’t use formaldehyde in it.”
Johnson also said that he wanted to keep the tradition of a coffee shop in the building. “There’s been one coffee shop or another here since the late ’70s,” he said.
Upcoming events at Ground include an outdoor event with the Kayak Shed on July 2, and a TV in the shop that will follow the entire Tour de France.
Ground opens at 6:30 a.m. every day, and closes at 7 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, 8 p.m. on Saturday and 9 p.m. on Friday.
More like this story
- Motorcyclist killed in spilled lumber crash
- Citizen group rises to oppose Westside plan
- Defeat the Heat: Officials urge safe beach use, paddling preparedness
- Culvert repair project at Indian Creek will begin June 26
- Vintage bridal gowns now on display at History Museum
- The Porch for June 24
- Art of Community revised
- Letters to the Editor for June 24
- Hang up and walk: Distracted pedestrians are on the rise
- Shoreline trail widened under HR Bridge
Hood River Valley High School graduation 2017
Scenes from graduation of the class of 2017 at Hood River Valley High School Enlarge