Wednesday, November 2, 2005
June 22, 2005
Ground, a coffee shop located at 12 Oak St. in the old Holstein’s building, is open for business.
Following their grand opening celebration during First Friday in April, the business at Ground has taken off. They offer such specials as Sushi Night on Wednesdays and Thursdays and complete breakfast and lunch menus.
“The concept is to keep the local coffee shop feel, but update the environment,” said co-owner Greg Johnson. “We wanted to create a more retro feel with the space.”
Johnson also pointed out unique features, such as bamboo floors and biodegradable building materials. “The sides of the counters are made from pressed wheat grass,” said Johnson. “They don’t use formaldehyde in it.”
Johnson also said that he wanted to keep the tradition of a coffee shop in the building. “There’s been one coffee shop or another here since the late ’70s,” he said.
Upcoming events at Ground include an outdoor event with the Kayak Shed on July 2, and a TV in the shop that will follow the entire Tour de France.
Ground opens at 6:30 a.m. every day, and closes at 7 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, 8 p.m. on Saturday and 9 p.m. on Friday.
More like this story
- Peace Walk: Take steps for a ‘safe future’ on Wednesday
- ‘We Love You to China and Back’: Community rallies for local family on July 31
- Stage set for new waterfront buildings
- Hood River Farmers’ Market offers local produce, more
- July 23 Stoked anniversary bash helps LymeLight
- Paving closes exit 62
- Foster parent recruitment meeting July 25 in TD
- Gaulke Dental joins Hood River Dental
- Rand Road water line
- Letters to the Editor for July 23
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge