Wednesday, November 2, 2005
June 29, 2005
The annual Joe Kollas Memorial Run will take place once again on July 4, departing from Mid Valley Elementary School. The 33rd annual run, held in memory of Joe Kollas, an avid valley runner in the early 1970’s, has brought together tens of thousands of runners over the years.
For many, the Fourth of July run has been a fixture, a custom, even a family tradition. For others it's been an excuse to get in shape for the summer, or a costume contest. For most it's as much a celebration as it is a contest.
The 7.4 mile course starts in downtown Odell at the fire station. The course winds its way through Odell, down and across Tucker Bridge, up a dreaded hill into town, and eventually ends at a shady Jackson Park as part of the city parade. Last year's winner ran the course in 38 minutes, 8 seconds.
Signups for the run start at 7 a.m, July 4 in the Mid Valley Elementary School. Walkers start the course at 8 a.m. and runners at 9 a.m. For more information contact Mary Gumm at 387-9234.
Last Year’s top local finishers:
#4. Alex Jiminex
#5. Scott Becker
#8. Ben Halseth
#9. Peter Knowles
#10. Christy Paul
More like this story
- Service Announcement for Oct. 26: Vernon Picking
- Death Notices for Oct. 26: Mary Stinson, Wilma Bolton, Kathleen Coffey, Thomas Pierce and Evelyn Helseth
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 22
- Another Voice: Community of caring, and the public issue of homelessness
- ‘Catch Me If You Can’ opens next weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 22
- Bridging Marine Park
- Death café at the library Oct. 26
- Halloween’s a Coming: Your Guide to Fun Oct. 29-31
- What’s the BUZZ on pollinators?
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge