Wednesday, November 2, 2005
Help save Secrets
How many people know what plant adaptation is? Or what the six structures in a healthy forest ecosystem are?
Nearly every fifth-grader at Westside school does.
I am in fifth grade here, and we’ve just been visited by volunteers from the Secrets program. Secrets is a weekly class that teaches us about nature and the world around us. In the past eight weeks, I’ve probably learned more about forests and everything in them than in my entire life. The Secrets volunteers are really nice, and they really go the extra mile to make this fun and interesting. I can’t imagine coming into my last year of elementary school and not getting to have the legendary Secrets classes that I’ve heard about from fifth-graders since I was in kindergarten.
Next year, though, that could be the case.
Secrets is slowly losing funding, and before we know it, it could be gone. There are ways people can help save Secrets. Volunteer your time, or donate funds. Anything you do will be greatly appreciated.
I think that Hood River should do everything it can to keep Secrets alive for everyone to enjoy for years to come.
More like this story
- Boys soccer goes on the road and ties Hermiston
- Sports briefs for Oct. 21
- Kegler's Corner: Buck and Miller Shine
- Taste of Tsuruta benefit dinner Nov. 4 at Mt. Hood Winery
- HRVAC hosts harvest dinner Oct. 21
- Mosier Senior Center hosts Harvest Fair
- Blacksmith Bob Denman at District Garden Club meeting Oct. 28
- ‘Gen Silent’ film, workshop on Oct. 25
- ‘Gender, Dignity and Freedom’ Oct. 24: Gender identity panel
- Sheriff Log, Oct. 8 to 14
Sixth Annual Harvest Fest Pie Eating Contest
The sixth annual Pie Eating Contest at Hood River Harvest Fest is sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce and HRVHS youth service group Leaders for Tomorrow. HRVHS student Dylan Polewczyk won the 1-minute fruit-pie eating event. Key rule, as stated by Chamber President Jason Shaner, “You have to eat the pie, you can’t just dislocate it. We will be checking for pie dislocation.” Enlarge