Wednesday, November 2, 2005
Harley Evans Horn, a lifelong resident of Hood River, Ore., died peacefully May 28, 2005, at the age of 81. Services will be held on at Anderson’s Tribute Center on Monday, June 6, at 2 p.m. A reception with refreshments will follow.
Harley was born Nov. 9, 1923, in Hood River. His parents Joseph and Ethel Mae (McLeod) Horn lived in the community of Oak Grove and were involved in the operation of the family sawmill, Horn Brothers Lumber Company.
He attended school at Oak Grove and Hood River High School, graduating in 1941. He graduated from Oregon State College (Oregon State University) with a degree in Forest Engineering.
Harley was a captain in the Marines, and served during World War II and the Korean War.
On Oct. 30, 1948, Harley married Ellen Fleck of The Dalles, Ore. His long career included the operation of West Side Grocery Store with his brother, Allen Horn. He also worked several years for the U.S. Forest Service in Parkdale, Ore. During the last 30 years of his career he worked as a logging manager at Hanel Lumber Company near Parkdale.
More like this story
- Citizen group rises to oppose Westside plan
- Defeat the Heat: Officials urge safe beach use, paddling preparedness
- Culvert repair project at Indian Creek will begin June 26
- Students from Hood River selected for China trip
- Vintage bridal gowns now on display at History Museum
- The Porch for June 24
- Art of Community revised
- Letters to the Editor for June 24
- Hang up and walk: Distracted pedestrians are on the rise
- U.S. Hwy 30 bridge work underway
Hood River Valley High School graduation 2017
Scenes from graduation of the class of 2017 at Hood River Valley High School Enlarge