Wednesday, November 2, 2005
Harley Evans Horn, a lifelong resident of Hood River, Ore., died peacefully May 28, 2005, at the age of 81. Services will be held on at Anderson’s Tribute Center on Monday, June 6, at 2 p.m. A reception with refreshments will follow.
Harley was born Nov. 9, 1923, in Hood River. His parents Joseph and Ethel Mae (McLeod) Horn lived in the community of Oak Grove and were involved in the operation of the family sawmill, Horn Brothers Lumber Company.
He attended school at Oak Grove and Hood River High School, graduating in 1941. He graduated from Oregon State College (Oregon State University) with a degree in Forest Engineering.
Harley was a captain in the Marines, and served during World War II and the Korean War.
On Oct. 30, 1948, Harley married Ellen Fleck of The Dalles, Ore. His long career included the operation of West Side Grocery Store with his brother, Allen Horn. He also worked several years for the U.S. Forest Service in Parkdale, Ore. During the last 30 years of his career he worked as a logging manager at Hanel Lumber Company near Parkdale.
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge