Wednesday, November 2, 2005
Summer Wrestling/Winter Champions Camp
Hood River's only summer wrestling camp will be from June 21 to 24 at the Hood River Valley High School. Sessions will run from 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. each day. Camp staff will have more than 50 years of combined coaching experience. Although the clinic is designed for wrestlers with some club or middle school experience anyone between fourth and ninth grade is encouraged to attend. A variety wrestling skills will be covered, and wrestlers will also get to participate in team Olympic games and listen to motivational speakers.
"If you’re looking to improve on last season, learn more advanced wrestling skills or dreaming about winning that state championship, this camp is for you," commented clinic organizer Mark Brown. To register, contact Brown at 386-5001 or stop by the Hood River Community Education office. Day-of registration will be accepted. All campers need to bring a sack lunch; afternoon snack is provided.
Law Enforcement officers run for Special Olympics
The Law Enforcement Torch Run is coming to Hood River County by way of the Columbia Gorge Scenic Highway. The annual Torch Run is to raise funds and awareness for the Special Olympics.
After several years, the run has spread to an international level, raising more than $20 million in one year and bringing together more than 85,000 law enforcement officers around the world. The local torch run will be Saturday, June 18 at 12 p.m. starting at the Mosier end of the Twin Tunnels. Anyone interested in helping with the local Special Olympics movement is encouraged to contact Rena Hunley in The Dalles at (541) 298- 7362. Torch Run T-shirts and raffle tickets for a 2005 Fat boy can be purchased through Kendra Raiser at (541) 288-6840.
More like this story
- 7/7 Polk sergeant picked for torch relay
- Olympian, US Open champs headline girls’ wrestling clinic
- Annual torch run helps raise awareness of Special Olympics
- 'Guns& Hoses' to pit county fire, police against each other in softball games
- Olympic champion Rulon Gardner headlines Sunnyside wrestling camp
- HRMS teacher studies in Germany
- Police Log, Aug. 17 to 23
- Sheriff Log, Aug. 14 to 24
- Soccer Assist: Kudos for thoughtful behind-scenes work
- Letters to the Editor for Aug. 29
- Editor's Notebook: Roanoke tragedy asks, ‘are we slaves to our technology?’
- Gorge Kids Tri adds music fest to lineup
- The Porch for Aug. 29
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 29
- Walmart sells 16.3 acres to Ryan’s Juice
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge