Wednesday, November 2, 2005
Summer Wrestling/Winter Champions Camp
Hood River's only summer wrestling camp will be from June 21 to 24 at the Hood River Valley High School. Sessions will run from 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. each day. Camp staff will have more than 50 years of combined coaching experience. Although the clinic is designed for wrestlers with some club or middle school experience anyone between fourth and ninth grade is encouraged to attend. A variety wrestling skills will be covered, and wrestlers will also get to participate in team Olympic games and listen to motivational speakers.
"If you’re looking to improve on last season, learn more advanced wrestling skills or dreaming about winning that state championship, this camp is for you," commented clinic organizer Mark Brown. To register, contact Brown at 386-5001 or stop by the Hood River Community Education office. Day-of registration will be accepted. All campers need to bring a sack lunch; afternoon snack is provided.
Law Enforcement officers run for Special Olympics
The Law Enforcement Torch Run is coming to Hood River County by way of the Columbia Gorge Scenic Highway. The annual Torch Run is to raise funds and awareness for the Special Olympics.
After several years, the run has spread to an international level, raising more than $20 million in one year and bringing together more than 85,000 law enforcement officers around the world. The local torch run will be Saturday, June 18 at 12 p.m. starting at the Mosier end of the Twin Tunnels. Anyone interested in helping with the local Special Olympics movement is encouraged to contact Rena Hunley in The Dalles at (541) 298- 7362. Torch Run T-shirts and raffle tickets for a 2005 Fat boy can be purchased through Kendra Raiser at (541) 288-6840.
More like this story
- 7/7 Polk sergeant picked for torch relay
- Olympian, US Open champs headline girls’ wrestling clinic
- Annual torch run helps raise awareness of Special Olympics
- 'Guns& Hoses' to pit county fire, police against each other in softball games
- Olympic champion Rulon Gardner headlines Sunnyside wrestling camp
- Pick of the Week: Westside forum July 26
- Fair Time: HOOD RIVER COUNTY FAIR — ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW
- YESTERYEARS: ‘Lassie’ films in HR in 1947
- Daily Bread: Blame it on The Moon
- McAlexanders celebrate 50th anniversary
- Hood River Library hosts Death Café
- Police Log, July 17 to 23
- Sheriff Log, July 16 to 22
- Biologists give mixed news for Columbia steelhead
- Pet of the Week: Charlie is happy and playful
Peter Marbach hurries to save his tent from the wind
Peter Marbach comes to the rescue of his wind blown tent. Enlarge