Wednesday, November 2, 2005
June 11, 2005
Officers of Soroptimist International of Hood River for 2005-2006 were inducted and the Soroptimist of the Year was presented June 7 at a dinner ceremony at 3 Rivers Grill. June Knudson acted as Mistress of Ceremonies while Jean Harmon led the induction ceremony and Ina Holman presented the Soroptimist of the Year.
The new officers for the business women’s service organization are Barbara Young, president; Karen Chinello, vice president; Michele Sliwa, secretary; Carolyn Van Orden, treasurer; Tine Schmidt, director; June Knudson, delegate; and Mooreen Morris, alternate delegate.
Outgoing president Judy Spellecy thanked her retiring board and the hard work of the membership to reach the fund-raising goals during her two-year term.
Maureen Regalbuto was presented the Soroptimist of the Year award for her leadership in the redecorating, painting, encouraging of gifts of linens by members and organizing work on the landscaping at the Young Women’s Shelter. The advocacy for women and children is the major focus for action and fund raising for the Soroptimists of Hood River.
Funds raised by this organization throughout the year go toward awards and scholarships for young women who take leadership in working for others (the Violet Richardson Award) and those who are in need of money for continuing their education, especially when supporting themselves and young children (the Women’s Opportunity Award). Anyone who wishes to get more information about joining this group may contact Carolyn Van Orden at BCI Group, Inc. at 386-3990. New members are welcome.
More like this story
- HRVHS Speech and Debate finds tournament success
- Rocket building class Nov. 22
- Business Notes for Nov. 18
- Church News: Interfaith Thanksgiving service Nov. 20 in White Salmon
- Northwest author pens book of hunting stories
- HAHRC BEATS: Preventing type 2 diabetes begins with changes
- US Postal Service debuts Alzheimer’s fundraising stamp
- Oregon State Parks celebrate ‘Green Friday’
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 18
- Kegler's Corner: Randy’s Painting Tops Industrial
Blasting on I84
Blasting on I84 Enlarge