Wednesday, November 2, 2005
June 15, 2005
The Special Districts Association of Oregon awarded scholarships to Elizabeth Cobarrubias, Hans Decker, and Samantha Decker at Hood River Valley High School’s Senior Scholarship Night on Thursday, June 2.
This scholarship program has been established by the Special Districts Association of Oregon in memory of John Weber, a longtime resident and civic leader in the Hood River County area. Weber was very active for more than 30 years in his community through the Odell Fire District, the Odell Sanitary District, and the Port of Hood River.
He was deeply involved in the creation of the Special Districts Association of Oregon in 1977 and served as its president from 1977-1981. He was a founding member of the Special Districts Insurance Services Trust Board of Trustees, serving as a trustee from 1985 until 1996. Weber was also very active in the Oregon Fire District Directors Association and the Oregon Public Ports Association. This award is intended to honor his memory and commemorate his many years of devoted service to the people of Oregon.
Scholarship recipients were selected on the basis of their response to the scholarship application and additional supporting materials. Recipients were selected by the association’s Scholarship Committee, which reviewed 27 applications. Selection criteria included commitment to community as demonstrated by involvement in community activities, strong and consistent academic performance, and evidence of good citizenship.
This is the ninth year that the Special Districts Association of Oregon has provided this scholarship to seniors at the high school. Congratulations to these very talented and committed individuals.
More like this story
- HRVHS Speech and Debate finds tournament success
- Rocket building class Nov. 22
- Business Notes for Nov. 18
- Church News: Interfaith Thanksgiving service Nov. 20 in White Salmon
- Northwest author pens book of hunting stories
- HAHRC BEATS: Preventing type 2 diabetes begins with changes
- US Postal Service debuts Alzheimer’s fundraising stamp
- Oregon State Parks celebrate ‘Green Friday’
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 18
- Kegler's Corner: Randy’s Painting Tops Industrial
Blasting on I84
Blasting on I84 Enlarge