Wednesday, November 2, 2005
Backed by an impressive coaching resume, two Bachelor degrees, and a Masters degree, Hood River resident Phil Vesel has been selected as the new Athletic Director for Hood River Valley High School. Pending final School Board approval on May 25, Vesel will begin working with current administrators to plan a seamless transition into the position, which will officially begin on September 1, 2005.
Vesel started college in 1993 at the University of Portland. He then attended Arizona State University for a year before enrolling at Portland State, where he earned two Bachelor Degrees: A Bachelor of Science in Health and Fitness Promotion and a Bachelor of Science in Health Education. Vesel then went on to earn his Masters in Education and Curriculum from Portland State in June of 2002.
During his time at PSU, Vesel also worked as a coach for a number of different programs. He started at the Cedar Hills Park and Recreation District as a basketball camp head instructor, camp coordinator, and organizer. In 1998 Vesel took on a position as assistant men's basketball coach for Chemeketa Community College, and in 1999 he moved up to head assistant men's coach for the Warner Pacific College basketball team. Moving back to Hood River in 2002, Vesel on took the role as teacher and head varsity boy's basketball coach.
More like this story
- Death notices for Oct. 22: Ellyn Kane, George Kimball, Kenneth Leibham and Barbara Pink
- Service Announcements for Oct. 22: Louise Neitch and Betty Johnson
- Yesteryears: Cooper’s Spur Road completed in 1926
- ‘Age of Dignity’ discussion series starts Oct. 22
- Advocacy Center holds fundraiser Oct. 22
- Roots and Branches: Find and use your tools
- Columbia Gorge Peace Village hosts film
- WS Library holds ‘Boys in the Boat’ talk Oct. 22
- Gorge receives national honor this weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 19
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge