Wednesday, November 2, 2005
Backed by an impressive coaching resume, two Bachelor degrees, and a Masters degree, Hood River resident Phil Vesel has been selected as the new Athletic Director for Hood River Valley High School. Pending final School Board approval on May 25, Vesel will begin working with current administrators to plan a seamless transition into the position, which will officially begin on September 1, 2005.
Vesel started college in 1993 at the University of Portland. He then attended Arizona State University for a year before enrolling at Portland State, where he earned two Bachelor Degrees: A Bachelor of Science in Health and Fitness Promotion and a Bachelor of Science in Health Education. Vesel then went on to earn his Masters in Education and Curriculum from Portland State in June of 2002.
During his time at PSU, Vesel also worked as a coach for a number of different programs. He started at the Cedar Hills Park and Recreation District as a basketball camp head instructor, camp coordinator, and organizer. In 1998 Vesel took on a position as assistant men's basketball coach for Chemeketa Community College, and in 1999 he moved up to head assistant men's coach for the Warner Pacific College basketball team. Moving back to Hood River in 2002, Vesel on took the role as teacher and head varsity boy's basketball coach.
More like this story
- Update -- Police seeking man involved in kidnapping between Mosier, Portland
- Back to school for students in Hood River County
- Cascade Observations: Looking back, looking ahead
- HRV Health Center opens
- Wine takes center stage this week, weekend
- Yesteryears: Cornerstone laid at new St. Mark’s in 1925
- Entertainment Update for Sept. 2
- Columbia Gorge Discovery Center dedicates renewable energy exhibit
- Pet of the Week: Angelina loves car rides, long walks
- Public Records — Marriage Permits, July 31 to Aug. 31
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge