Wednesday, November 2, 2005
May 21, 2005
Mr. HRV in more ways than one.
Congratulations, Bruce Chiang. The Hood River Valley High School dynamo performed his way to the top honor in HRVHS’ annual rite of spring, the Mr. HRV pageant (photos on page A10 of the Hood River News).
The event is one more way for young people to cut loose, tongue-in-cheek, under bright, multi-colored lights. Bruce’s singing, sweet-talking of the judges, and comic antics won the evening.
But rather than superceding anyone, Bruce’s talents exemplify the high quality and wide range of musical and comedic abilities in his fellow seniors — male or female. HRV was the opportunity for senior boys to play roles such as clowns, sailors, chimneysweeps, and other personae.
The pageant was just part of a stellar week for Bruce Chiang. On Tuesday, the student body vice president received one of two HRVHS Citizenship Awards, along with Jillian Jones, at the annual Evening of Excellence. Luke McCarthy and Megan Flink were named Athletes of the Year. (Hood River News will carry the full list of award winners in the May 25 edition.)
As the school year nears its close, this is a good time to pause and consider that the performances, research, classroom and lab efforts and community projects done by high school students in Hood River County are themselves contributions to the life of the community. As the students learn, and share their skills, the whole community benefits.
More like this story
- On Stage for Christmas
- Gorge Kids in Action — filling a wish list for others
- Looking for fun? Try mini-golf this weekend
- Warm gifts: Parkhurst says thank you
- Hospice Youth thanks veterans for their service
- Lions grocery contest winners announced
- Columbia Art Center ‘Nook’ features artist Steve Stegall
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 28
- Minoru Yasui: Governor adds to Hood River native’s Presidential Medal of Freedom honor
- Class of ’66 seeks classmates
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge