Thursday, November 3, 2005
589 swimmers loaded on the Sternwheeler Columbia
Gorge at sunrise Monday morning for the 63rd Cross Channel Swim. Donning bright orange swim caps, batches of 10 swimmers took the plunge off the Sternwheeler
deck into the Columbia’s 69-degree water. More than
70 volunteers lined the 1.1 mile stretch of river from the Bingen Marina to the Best Western Hood River Inn to
corral swimmers safely across.
The event was organized by the
Hood River Chamber of Commerce.
See Saturday’s Hood River News for more
on the 2005 Cross Channel Swim.
More like this story
- History Museum offers chance to ‘step back in time’
- Yesteryears: Hood River County Fair draws record crowds in 1986
- FFA, 4-H livestock auction July 29
- Burn ban? No problem, no smoke, if you have a ‘burn box’
- Friends of Mount Adams guide hikes on Sept. 10
- Gehrig’s Chevron hits 70 year mark
- Sheriff Log, July 17 to 23
- Police Log, June 27 to July 8
- Letters to the Editor for July 27
- Local Impact: United Way helps, 'one person at a time'
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge