Thursday, November 3, 2005
589 swimmers loaded on the Sternwheeler Columbia
Gorge at sunrise Monday morning for the 63rd Cross Channel Swim. Donning bright orange swim caps, batches of 10 swimmers took the plunge off the Sternwheeler
deck into the Columbia’s 69-degree water. More than
70 volunteers lined the 1.1 mile stretch of river from the Bingen Marina to the Best Western Hood River Inn to
corral swimmers safely across.
The event was organized by the
Hood River Chamber of Commerce.
See Saturday’s Hood River News for more
on the 2005 Cross Channel Swim.
More like this story
- Parkdale Pumpkin parade, fun run Oct. 29
- HR artist crafts White Salmon sign
- Three appeals filed on UP’s Mosier track project
- Search suspended for west Gorge hiker
- Yesteryears: Trailer-house colony plan to ease housing shortage abandoned in 1946
- ‘Catch Me If You Can’
- Police Log, Oct. 1 to 8
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 26
- ‘Remember Minoru’: Hood River community honors a civil rights hero
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 26
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge