Thursday, November 3, 2005
September 14, 2005
The Bureau of Indian Affairs is hosting five meetings in mid-September to gather public comment on a casino proposal in Cascade Locks.
The forums will be facilitated by the Portland firm of Cogan Owens Cogan and follow a formal protocol that is part of the National Environmental Policy Act process. Citizen perception is being sought on the positive and negative effects of the Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs’ plan.
The tribes are seeking Interior Sec. Gale Norton’s approval to build a 500,000 square foot facility on 25 acres within the city’s industrial park.
An additional 35 acres will be leased for parking. The BIA wants to hear from citizens what issues need to be addressed with the project, and if any alternatives are available.
All testimony will be recorded for further consideration during review of the proposal.
The meeting schedule is as follows.
Thursday, Sept. 15, 6 to 8:30 p.m. in the Gorge Pavilion at Port Marine Park in Cascade Locks, 355 WaNaPa St.
Saturday, Sept. 17, 9:30 a.m. to noon, also in the Pavilion.
Monday, Sept. 19, 5 to 8 p.m. in Portland’s Benson High School cafeteria, 546 N.E. 12th Ave.
Wednesday, Sept. 21, 6 to 8:30 p.m. at the Best Western Hood River Inn, 1108 East Marina Way.
Wednesday, Sept. 28, 6 to 8:30 p.m. at Rock Creek Center in Stevenson, Wash., 710 S.W. Rock Creek Drive.
For more information on the scoping meetings, access the Web site set up by Cogan at www.gorgecasinoeis.com/index.html
More like this story
- Heights house fire roars up Friday
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge