Thursday, November 3, 2005
September 24, 2005
The first meeting of the newly formed Discover Kids Bike Club is set for Saturday, Oct. 1 at Jackson Park. Kids ages 5-12 of all riding abilities are invited to join the club and turn out for the kick-off event, which will be a riding skills workshop for skill levels from training wheels to hucking. The workshop will run from 9:30-11 a.m.
Club organizer Jennifer Wilson commented: “I believe that through the sport of mountain biking, young kids will have the opportunity to develop the skills, values, and strategies that will guide them throughout their lives and enable them to succeed in school and in life. This club is not about racing (although we will have some fun races and eventually offer race training). Our goal is to spark the love of riding a bike outside in this incredible community that we live in.”
Anyone interested in joining the Discover Kids Club can sign up at Discover Bicycles in downtown Hood River. The annual club fee is $20. Kids can also sign up for the club at Jackson Park before the workshop.
Co-sponsor Mike’s Ice Cream will be serving ice cream cones at the event.
More like this story
- Fire burns Underwood Fruit & Warehouse Wednesday
- Second annual ‘Rooted’ story event on Nov. 2
- HRVAC hosts harvest dinner
- Eagle Creek fire info meetings Oct. 17-18 in CL, HR
- Local farm named among ‘Best Places to Pick Apples’
- Colors Day
- Two quilt shows in the Gorge
- Roots and Branches: Principles set in stone
- YESTERYEARS: Cooper Spur district gets electric service in 1947
- Letters to the Editor, Oct. 18 edition
Sixth Annual Harvest Fest Pie Eating Contest
The sixth annual Pie Eating Contest at Hood River Harvest Fest is sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce and HRVHS youth service group Leaders for Tomorrow. HRVHS student Dylan Polewczyk won the 1-minute fruit-pie eating event. Key rule, as stated by Chamber President Jason Shaner, “You have to eat the pie, you can’t just dislocate it. We will be checking for pie dislocation.” Enlarge