Thursday, November 3, 2005
Young racers Cooper Holzman (front) and Mitchell Waters negotiate a section of the Discover Series course at Hood River Valley High School.
News staff writer
August 3, 2005
Hot and sunny weather greeted young mountain bike competitors for the first race of the Discover Kids Mt. Bike Series at the Hood River Valley High School. Young racers ages 4-11 competed on courses that took them over terrain ranging from pavement to single track trails.
“The kids loved the race,” said race organizer Lori Waters. “And we received a lot of positive feedback from the parents. We look forward to putting it on again August 13.
“A huge thanks to the Hood River Valley High School for letting us run this event on their property. They have an amazing number of trails for kids to ride on”.
Hood River’s Alden Sova took the lead early and held it to the finish line to win the 4-6 year old division.
The 7-9 year old race was tight, with a group of six riders staying within a couple of seconds of each other. On the last climb, 50-meters before the finish, Weston Hobkirk from Gresham pushed hard to create a small gap for first place finish. Fast at Hobkirk’s heels was a mad dash to the line by five riders, who came in one after another.
Race supporter Chad Sperry said, “A huge thanks to the HRVHS, Discover Bicycles, G. Williker’s, and the Mt. Hood Cycling Classic for sponsoring the series.”
The second race of the series will be on Saturday, August 13. Registration starts at 9 a.m. that morning, followed by racing at 10 a.m. For more information stop by Discover Bicycles or check online at www.discoverbicycles.com
More like this story
- Appeals Court court affirms Hood River denial of Walmart expansion
- UPDATE: Southeast Mt. Hood fire grows to 60 acres
- Service announcement for Oct. 10
- Death notices for Oct. 7
- HRV’s House: Henderson Community Stadium celebrates its 20th anniversary
- Mosqueda, Weber wed in railside ceremony
- Helicopter photos: Graves, Krenz marry
- Clark, Engel marry in Pine Grove
- All you need is ... to come on the Magical History Tour
- Yesteryears: Lower valley apple harvest in full swing in 1945
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge