Thursday, November 3, 2005
August 27, 2005
Contrary to local forecasts, westerly winds picked up last Saturday at the Hood River Event Site. Gorge Cup competitors broke out their sails in the early afternoon and by the time the sixth race of the series was ready to begin, the wind was nuking.
While countless kiteboarders changed from kite to smaller kite at the sand bar, Gorge Cup racers held on tight, leaned back a bit more and skimmed across the water at speeds fast enough to flatten cheeks.
After squeezing in six heats for each class, race six concluded with Hood River racer Bruce Peterson taking first place overall once again. Although seemingly untouchable, having won first overall in every Gorge Cup race this summer, one of Peterson’s rivals, competitor Dale Cook, was back on the water, nipping at his heels after taking the last four races off due to injury.
Heat one through five was Peterson and Cook finishing first and second. Andreas Macke, who placed third overall for the day and is in sixth place overall for the Cup, had four third places finishes, a second and a fifth.
The seventh and final race in the 2005 Gorge Cup will be (wind permitting) on Saturday, Aug. 27 at the Hood River Event Site.
Going into the last race, the top five in overall points are Peterson, Doug Beaman, Jac le Roux, MacRae Wylde and Jay Salazman.
Race Six top finishers:
Place overall: Place in class:
1. Bruce Peterson 1
2. Dale Cook 1
3. Andreas Macke 2
4. Doug Beaman 3
5. Jac le Roux 1
6. Anil Rajani 2
7. MacRae Wylde 4
More like this story
- Author signing event at Waucoma Sept. 2
- Public records: Marriage permits, Aug. 1 to 22
- Pet of the Week: Bentley will make you wonder how you lived without him
- Genealogical Society meets Sept. 10
- ‘Our Whole Lives’ sexuality class for middle schoolers starts in fall
- A pastor called to a new house: Anna Carmichael of St. Mark's accepts position in California, passes Warming Shelter baton
- First Windermere golf tournament raises $6,000 for Stevenson Program
- Season Preview: Volleyball
- New teachers and licensed staff join Hood River County Schools
- Who says there’s no more summer fun?
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge