Thursday, November 3, 2005
September 10, 2005
New and familiar ways to help victims of Hurricane Katrina are emerging in Hood River County.
Hood River County School District has reactivated Project Pencil, a supply drive first held in 2003 for children in Iraq.
Windermere/Glenn Taylor Real Estate is holding a donation drive at its offices in Hood River (504 Cascade), The Dalles (312 E. 3rd St.), Bingen-White Salmon (900 W. Steuben), as well as in Stevenson, Goldendale, and Maupin. Through Sept. 23, bring new or gently used clothing to any of the Windermere locations, weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Hood River News begins “Goals for the Gulf,” a fund-raiser done in association with the athletes of Hood River Valley, Horizon, and Cascade Locks high schools. Please see Local sports to help Katrina relief for details.
School superintendent Pat Evenson-Brady announced the renewal of Project Pencil on Thursday. Students, staff and parents will collect money for school supplies for homeless students and school staff who are trying to establish new classrooms away from New Orleans.
Hood River Schools enacted Project Pencil in 2003 for National Guard soldiers deployed to give to Iraqi school children.
Evenson-Brady has asked principals to save space in their schools to collect donated supplies and to gather donated money. Project Pencil will run through the first week in October.
Students are also being encouraged to write notes to children victimized by Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath.
More like this story
- YESTERYEARS: New Safeway store on Second and Cascade expected in 1947
- Pritchett, Haskins to wed
- Roots and Branches: Cherry Harvest
- Pick of the Week: Children’s Park public meeting July 20
- Travelogue: Panama
- Another Voice: Juntos program ‘critical to success of students in their education’
- Editor's Notebook: By George, one’s own name is a basic sweet spot in your sense of identity
- Letters to the Editor for July 19
- Another Voice: Preserve our agricultural heritage by making Tanner Ranch a park
- The comfort of quilts: Comfort Quilt Project underway at Providence Hood River Memorial Hospital
Peter Marbach hurries to save his tent from the wind
Peter Marbach comes to the rescue of his wind blown tent. Enlarge