Thursday, November 3, 2005
September 10, 2005
New and familiar ways to help victims of Hurricane Katrina are emerging in Hood River County.
Hood River County School District has reactivated Project Pencil, a supply drive first held in 2003 for children in Iraq.
Windermere/Glenn Taylor Real Estate is holding a donation drive at its offices in Hood River (504 Cascade), The Dalles (312 E. 3rd St.), Bingen-White Salmon (900 W. Steuben), as well as in Stevenson, Goldendale, and Maupin. Through Sept. 23, bring new or gently used clothing to any of the Windermere locations, weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Hood River News begins “Goals for the Gulf,” a fund-raiser done in association with the athletes of Hood River Valley, Horizon, and Cascade Locks high schools. Please see Local sports to help Katrina relief for details.
School superintendent Pat Evenson-Brady announced the renewal of Project Pencil on Thursday. Students, staff and parents will collect money for school supplies for homeless students and school staff who are trying to establish new classrooms away from New Orleans.
Hood River Schools enacted Project Pencil in 2003 for National Guard soldiers deployed to give to Iraqi school children.
Evenson-Brady has asked principals to save space in their schools to collect donated supplies and to gather donated money. Project Pencil will run through the first week in October.
Students are also being encouraged to write notes to children victimized by Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath.
More like this story
- Pick of the Week: Turkey Trot happens Thanksgiving morning
- YESTERYEARS: Hood River will soon have its own aviation school in 1927
- Christmas Project: Where and when to sign up, and how to help
- Lisa Muñoz: Talking steps toward broadening community
- Museum’s ‘Latino Experience’ on display through December
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 22
- Another Voice: Grad Student Tax hinders diversity and innovation of higher education
- Remains Wall
- Oregon Parks takes input on adding tribal governments to veterans grant programs
- Sheriff Log, Nov. 5 to 18
Advertisement: The Men of Black Friday
The secret agents of Big Winds may not exactly be Tommy Lee Jones oand Will Smith, but they still discovered there is plenty of strangeness to be found in Hood River...especially once winter sets in. Enlarge