Thursday, November 3, 2005
Hood River resident Betty Louise Smith died Aug. 20, 2005, at the Hood River Care Center. She was 62 years of age.
A funeral service will be held Wednesday, Aug. 24, at 2 p.m. at Anderson’s Tribute Center.
A visitation will be held Tuesday, Aug. 23, from 4 p.m. until 6 p.m. at Anderson’s Tribute Center.
Betty was born Feb. 2, 1943, in Kelso, Wash., to Charles and Mable (Flory) Kassner.
She spent her childhood in the Kelso, Longview, Wash., area until her teens when the family moved to the Salem, Ore., area. In 1960 she married Calvin Smith in Mehama, Ore. Together they moved they family to the Hood River Valley in 1972.
Betty enjoyed gardening and was known for her wonderful cooking. She loved to arrange family “get togethers” and cook big dinners. Babysitting her grandchildren was a great joy to her as well.
Mrs. Smith is survived by her husband Calvin of Odell, Ore., daughters Susan Bloom and Sharon Price of Odell, son Steven Smith of Odell, brothers Larry Kassner and Robin Bond of Stayton, Ore., and Dennis Kassner of Kalispell, Mont., sister Paulette Strand of Columbia Falls, Mont., 7 grandchildren and numerous nieces and nephews.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Odell Fire Department or the American Diabetes Association, c/o Anderson’s Tribute Center, 1401 Belmont Road, Hood River, OR 97031.
More like this story
- Author signing event at Waucoma Sept. 2
- Public records: Marriage permits, Aug. 1 to 22
- Pet of the Week: Bentley will make you wonder how you lived without him
- Genealogical Society meets Sept. 10
- ‘Our Whole Lives’ sexuality class for middle schoolers starts in fall
- A pastor called to a new house: Anna Carmichael of St. Mark's accepts position in California, passes Warming Shelter baton
- First Windermere golf tournament raises $6,000 for Stevenson Program
- Season Preview: Volleyball
- New teachers and licensed staff join Hood River County Schools
- Who says there’s no more summer fun?
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge