Thursday, November 3, 2005
Hood River resident Betty Louise Smith died Aug. 20, 2005, at the Hood River Care Center. She was 62 years of age.
A funeral service will be held Wednesday, Aug. 24, at 2 p.m. at Anderson’s Tribute Center.
A visitation will be held Tuesday, Aug. 23, from 4 p.m. until 6 p.m. at Anderson’s Tribute Center.
Betty was born Feb. 2, 1943, in Kelso, Wash., to Charles and Mable (Flory) Kassner.
She spent her childhood in the Kelso, Longview, Wash., area until her teens when the family moved to the Salem, Ore., area. In 1960 she married Calvin Smith in Mehama, Ore. Together they moved they family to the Hood River Valley in 1972.
Betty enjoyed gardening and was known for her wonderful cooking. She loved to arrange family “get togethers” and cook big dinners. Babysitting her grandchildren was a great joy to her as well.
Mrs. Smith is survived by her husband Calvin of Odell, Ore., daughters Susan Bloom and Sharon Price of Odell, son Steven Smith of Odell, brothers Larry Kassner and Robin Bond of Stayton, Ore., and Dennis Kassner of Kalispell, Mont., sister Paulette Strand of Columbia Falls, Mont., 7 grandchildren and numerous nieces and nephews.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Odell Fire Department or the American Diabetes Association, c/o Anderson’s Tribute Center, 1401 Belmont Road, Hood River, OR 97031.
More like this story
- Two escape from state corrections
- Sports briefs for Aug. 16
- Lost boy found safe near Parkdale
- YESTERYEARS: Hottest August day ever recorded in 1977
- Design for a legacy
- Pick of the Week: Jim Lommasson at CCA
- The mural and Nate Chavez
- Letters to the Editor, Aug. 16 edition
- City of Hood River: Mayor asks Rep. Walden to ‘join our collective call’ on energy
- Power line fire doused Monday
Planet Fly at Pfriem
The band Planet Fly plays at Pfriem in an outdoor concert. Enlarge