Thursday, November 3, 2005
Hood River resident Betty Louise Smith died Aug. 20, 2005, at the Hood River Care Center. She was 62 years of age.
A funeral service will be held Wednesday, Aug. 24, at 2 p.m. at Anderson’s Tribute Center.
A visitation will be held Tuesday, Aug. 23, from 4 p.m. until 6 p.m. at Anderson’s Tribute Center.
Betty was born Feb. 2, 1943, in Kelso, Wash., to Charles and Mable (Flory) Kassner.
She spent her childhood in the Kelso, Longview, Wash., area until her teens when the family moved to the Salem, Ore., area. In 1960 she married Calvin Smith in Mehama, Ore. Together they moved they family to the Hood River Valley in 1972.
Betty enjoyed gardening and was known for her wonderful cooking. She loved to arrange family “get togethers” and cook big dinners. Babysitting her grandchildren was a great joy to her as well.
Mrs. Smith is survived by her husband Calvin of Odell, Ore., daughters Susan Bloom and Sharon Price of Odell, son Steven Smith of Odell, brothers Larry Kassner and Robin Bond of Stayton, Ore., and Dennis Kassner of Kalispell, Mont., sister Paulette Strand of Columbia Falls, Mont., 7 grandchildren and numerous nieces and nephews.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Odell Fire Department or the American Diabetes Association, c/o Anderson’s Tribute Center, 1401 Belmont Road, Hood River, OR 97031.
More like this story
- On Stage for Christmas
- Gorge Kids in Action — filling a wish list for others
- Looking for fun? Try mini-golf this weekend
- Warm gifts: Parkhurst says thank you
- Hospice Youth thanks veterans for their service
- Lions grocery contest winners announced
- Columbia Art Center ‘Nook’ features artist Steve Stegall
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 28
- Minoru Yasui: Governor adds to Hood River native’s Presidential Medal of Freedom honor
- Class of ’66 seeks classmates
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge