Thursday, November 3, 2005
Hood River resident Betty Louise Smith died Aug. 20, 2005, at the Hood River Care Center. She was 62 years of age.
A funeral service will be held Wednesday, Aug. 24, at 2 p.m. at Anderson’s Tribute Center.
A visitation will be held Tuesday, Aug. 23, from 4 p.m. until 6 p.m. at Anderson’s Tribute Center.
Betty was born Feb. 2, 1943, in Kelso, Wash., to Charles and Mable (Flory) Kassner.
She spent her childhood in the Kelso, Longview, Wash., area until her teens when the family moved to the Salem, Ore., area. In 1960 she married Calvin Smith in Mehama, Ore. Together they moved they family to the Hood River Valley in 1972.
Betty enjoyed gardening and was known for her wonderful cooking. She loved to arrange family “get togethers” and cook big dinners. Babysitting her grandchildren was a great joy to her as well.
Mrs. Smith is survived by her husband Calvin of Odell, Ore., daughters Susan Bloom and Sharon Price of Odell, son Steven Smith of Odell, brothers Larry Kassner and Robin Bond of Stayton, Ore., and Dennis Kassner of Kalispell, Mont., sister Paulette Strand of Columbia Falls, Mont., 7 grandchildren and numerous nieces and nephews.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Odell Fire Department or the American Diabetes Association, c/o Anderson’s Tribute Center, 1401 Belmont Road, Hood River, OR 97031.
More like this story
- History Museum offers chance to ‘step back in time’
- Yesteryears: Hood River County Fair draws record crowds in 1986
- FFA, 4-H livestock auction July 29
- Burn ban? No problem, no smoke, if you have a ‘burn box’
- Friends of Mount Adams guide hikes on Sept. 10
- Gehrig’s Chevron hits 70 year mark
- Sheriff Log, July 17 to 23
- Police Log, June 27 to July 8
- Letters to the Editor for July 27
- Local Impact: United Way helps, 'one person at a time'
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge