Thursday, November 3, 2005
Rev. Roger Thompson
The Rev. Roger William Thompson died at age 86 on Sept. 13, 2005, in Hillsboro, Ore., of congestive heart failure.
A celebration of life service is planned for Oct. 29 in Odell, Ore., at Odell United Methodist Church.
Roger was born on Dec. 20, 1918, in Syracuse, N.Y. He married Mary Lucille Corbett in 1946.
Roger retired as a Methodist minister in 1985. He lived in Odell from 1985-2005. He served two churches in the greater Portland area, Tualatin MC from 1978-82 and Montavilla UMCV from 1982-85. In January 2005 he moved to Hillsboro.
He was educated at Tusculum College in Greeneville, Tenn., and at Drew University in Madison, N.J., where he earned his Bachelor of Divinity degree in 1948.
He is survived by his wife, Mary, daughters Melinda White and Mary Ann Bertelson, and sons Bill Thompson, Jim Thompson, and Mark Thompson, along with nine grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.
Memorial gifts may be made to Alzheimer’s Association, Oregon Chapter, 131 N.W. 21st Ave., Portland, OR 97209.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for Sept. 30
- Vital Content: The Web would be sparse landscape without newspapers
- Love Your Columbia In CL, tribal leaders lead salmon viewing Oct. 8
- Warm Springs tribe member describes Dakota pipeline experiences Oct. 4 at RCC
- Church Notes: ‘Die Wise’ book program starts Sunday at Riverside
- Ribbon cutting at Museum
- Mediation training at Six Rivers starts Oct. 6
- May Street celebrates Walk/Bike to School Day
- Food insecurity: 'Harvesting’ art exhibit, meal and public conversation in downtown HR Oct. 7
- 12th Street opens
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge