Thursday, November 3, 2005
Rev. Roger Thompson
The Rev. Roger William Thompson died at age 86 on Sept. 13, 2005, in Hillsboro, Ore., of congestive heart failure.
A celebration of life service is planned for Oct. 29 in Odell, Ore., at Odell United Methodist Church.
Roger was born on Dec. 20, 1918, in Syracuse, N.Y. He married Mary Lucille Corbett in 1946.
Roger retired as a Methodist minister in 1985. He lived in Odell from 1985-2005. He served two churches in the greater Portland area, Tualatin MC from 1978-82 and Montavilla UMCV from 1982-85. In January 2005 he moved to Hillsboro.
He was educated at Tusculum College in Greeneville, Tenn., and at Drew University in Madison, N.J., where he earned his Bachelor of Divinity degree in 1948.
He is survived by his wife, Mary, daughters Melinda White and Mary Ann Bertelson, and sons Bill Thompson, Jim Thompson, and Mark Thompson, along with nine grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.
Memorial gifts may be made to Alzheimer’s Association, Oregon Chapter, 131 N.W. 21st Ave., Portland, OR 97209.
More like this story
- Death notices for May 4: Jerry Osbourn, Edward Adams, and John Phillips
- Service announcement for May 4: Audrey Thornton
- Boys lax suffers significant setback in league opener
- Letters to the Editor for April 30
- No on 14-55: But not a ‘yes’ to Nestlé
- ‘Putting your house in order’ returns May 11
- Police Log, April 12 to 24, part 2 of 2
- Sheriff Log, April 17 to 24
- ‘Music at the Dawn’ brings early 1900s to life
- Entertainment Update for April 30
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge