Revamped Wal-Mart throws a grand re-opening party

Photo by Kirby Neumann-Rea

WAL-MART employee Jessica Marquam sings the National Anthem while National Guardsmen form a color guard behind her in the grand reopening ceremony at the store.

At left is Specialist Richard Phillips, and at right

is Staff Sgt. Edmund Jordan.


News editor

July 23, 2005

The “daily scavenger hunt” is over at Wal-Mart.

Manager Stephanie Kime expressed thanks Friday to customers for their patience in recent months as they tried to find merchandise that was hard to find during the remodeling project at the West Cascade store. The remodel included all new flooring, expanded check-out, new bathrooms, and enhanced shelving and equipment throughout the store. Kime also praised her employees for their dedication to the store during the arduous remodeling.

Mayor Linda Rouches cut the ribbon and the National Guard brought a color guard to mark the 7 a.m. occasion. Rouches, who was guest speaker at Saturday’s Relay for Life cancer research fund-raiser, said that Wal-Mart was mentioned repeatedly as a sponsor during that event, and acknowledged the store’s support for other community programs including the Young Women’s Shelter and Promoting Responsible Ownership of Dogs (PROD).

In-store monitors broadcast announcements and shoppers walked down wider, brighter aisles during the short ceremony, which featured a prayer by the Wal-Mart chaplain, Kim Seal.

“Bless this store and help it and the people who work here be people of integrity,” Seal prayed. “Help them add to their involvement in the community, and we also pray for a healing for this store, for those who are opposed to it.”

Employee Jessica Marquam sang the National Anthem, first saying, “Wal-Mart has given me so much confidence to do things. The managers and employees have helped me feel that I am something special.”

Employees cut cake and passed out balloons, and give-aways and other surprises would be the order of the day, according to Kime.

Latest stories

Latest video:

Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive

The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge

Log in to comment