Thursday, November 3, 2005
August 27, 2005
The annual Hood River County United Way Kickoff event will be Aug. 31 from 5 to 7 p.m. at Stonehedge Gardens Restaurant, 3405 Cascade Drive, in Hood River.
“This year’s event will be a wonderful start, signaling the beginning of our annual campaign on Sept. 1,” said Campaign Chair Jamie Guth. “With so many new and exciting components to the event, there should be something for everyone to enjoy.”
Available at the event this year will be the locally famous “Men of Hood River” 2006 calendar. Many of the “Calendar Men” will be in attendance, and for a small donation will autograph their featured month’s photo. “We’ll also have plenty of Ugly Local T-Shirts for sale,” said Board Member Leslie Cogswell. “They are always a hit, and a lot of fun.”
In addition to providing the facilities, Stonehedge is also providing food and refreshments, as are Divots, China Gorge, the Mesquitery and Food Service of America. Beverages will be provided by Elliott Glacier Brewery and Pheasant Valley Winery. Entertainment will be by Tony Smiley.
This year’s kickoff event also includes a silent auction, featuring an outstanding assortment of goods, excursions and events. Auction items include dining for six at Abruzzo’s Italian Grill, an overnight stay and round of golf at Skamania Lodge, a bicycle from Discover Bicycles, a season ski pass to Mt. Hood Meadows, white-water rafting trips, a Portland waterfront dinner and cruise, a Baja camping getaway, and many more.
Kickoff co-chair Pat Graham said he is pleased with the assortment of quality auction items. “We think we have something for everyone in terms of auction items. With the calendars, T-shirts, refreshments and entertainment, all for a very worthy cause, we think this year’s kickoff will be the best yet!”
More like this story
- Author signing event at Waucoma Sept. 2
- Public records: Marriage permits, Aug. 1 to 22
- Pet of the Week: Bentley will make you wonder how you lived without him
- Genealogical Society meets Sept. 10
- ‘Our Whole Lives’ sexuality class for middle schoolers starts in fall
- A pastor called to a new house: Anna Carmichael of St. Mark's accepts position in California, passes Warming Shelter baton
- First Windermere golf tournament raises $6,000 for Stevenson Program
- Season Preview: Volleyball
- New teachers and licensed staff join Hood River County Schools
- Who says there’s no more summer fun?
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge