Thursday, November 3, 2005
October 1, 2005
The Hood River Valley High School girls’ varsity soccer team started strong in their final pre-season game Tuesday afternoon against the Barlow Bruins. They played the first ten minutes or so like they wanted to, like they have been practicing. They kept their formation, they passed well and they spread the field by working the ball out to the wings.
But then they lost steam. The team’s strategies broke down a bit and Barlow slipped by 2-0 by the end of the game.
“It was a disappointing loss,” said Coach Joe Kelly. “We lost focus and started dribbling the ball instead of passing and our defensive pressure in the midfield was less effective.”
The girls continue to improve, however, even though Tuesday’s score did not show a win.
“The team has a lot of potential,” commented assistant coach Clarke Bryant. “The girls are getting better and better every game and they are staying close as a team. They really care for each other.”
With the loss, the teams’ record moves to 2-4 overall. The good news is, all six of the games so far have been non-league. The Eagles got a fresh start and a fresh record to start with in their first league match Friday afternoon at Bend High School. As of press time game results were not available.
The junior varsity girls demolished Barlow in a blow-out 10-0 victory. Goal scorers in the game were: Kylee Slaughton, Keala Van Swaay, Erin Costello, Kari Hidle, Julie Hazlett, Sara Evas, and Jessica Ortiz.
More like this story
- Service announcements for Oct. 29: Jennifer Ringlbauer and Bertha Gallagher
- Death notices for Oct. 29: Mary Hoyt and Manuel Zamudio
- Parkdale Pumpkin parade, fun run Oct. 29
- HR artist crafts White Salmon sign
- Three appeals filed on UP’s Mosier track project
- Search suspended for west Gorge hiker
- Yesteryears: Trailer-house colony plan to ease housing shortage abandoned in 1946
- Police Log, Oct. 1 to 8
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 26
- ‘Remember Minoru’: Hood River community honors a civil rights hero
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge