Wednesday, November 9, 2005
October 19, 2005
Four schools participated in Saturday’s Second Annual Apple Cup: Centennial; David Douglas; Hood River; and Lincoln.
Names and events of the Hood River winners:
* Duo Interpretive, first place: Dana Utroske and Devin Landry.
* Prose Reading, second place: Marharyta Berlova, exchange student from Ukraine, reading in English from “To Kill A Mockingbird.”
* Impromptu Speaking, first place: Bridget Wade; second place: Emma Spaulding.
* Poetry Reading, second place: Zach Innes; third place: Kelbe Thompson; fourth place: Sara Anthony.
* Public Debate, first place: Kieran Lerch and Lauren Merge; second place: Chase Drum and August Jackson; third place: Andy Crafts and Mike Shank.
“Everyone had a blast,” said advisor Regena Rafelson. “A huge number of volunteers helped out with judging, and kept us organized.”
Rosauers, Safeway, Hood River Bagel Company, Frolik, Waucoma Bookstore, Doug’s Sports, The Wine Sellers, Discover Bike Rental, 3 Rivers Grill, Doppio, and Freestyle Hair donated goods and services to the fundraising raffle or helped feed judges.
More like this story
- How to Help: Ways to give locally during the holiday season
- USDA invests $13 Million to improve healthcare in Columbia River Gorge
- Local Lure: This holiday, help your community by spending close to home
- Another Voice: County Energy Plan demonstrates leadership and resilience
- Columbia Gorge CASA welcomes new volunteers
- The Porch for Nov. 25 edition
- ‘Chicago’ preparations: Local choreographer offers dance lessons
- ‘The Little Prince’ auditions scheduled for Dec. 11-12
- ‘National Pear Month’ marked in December
- Gleaning: Where surplus and hunger meet
Advertisement: The Men of Black Friday
The secret agents of Big Winds may not exactly be Tommy Lee Jones oand Will Smith, but they still discovered there is plenty of strangeness to be found in Hood River...especially once winter sets in. Enlarge