Wednesday, November 9, 2005
October 19, 2005
Four schools participated in Saturday’s Second Annual Apple Cup: Centennial; David Douglas; Hood River; and Lincoln.
Names and events of the Hood River winners:
* Duo Interpretive, first place: Dana Utroske and Devin Landry.
* Prose Reading, second place: Marharyta Berlova, exchange student from Ukraine, reading in English from “To Kill A Mockingbird.”
* Impromptu Speaking, first place: Bridget Wade; second place: Emma Spaulding.
* Poetry Reading, second place: Zach Innes; third place: Kelbe Thompson; fourth place: Sara Anthony.
* Public Debate, first place: Kieran Lerch and Lauren Merge; second place: Chase Drum and August Jackson; third place: Andy Crafts and Mike Shank.
“Everyone had a blast,” said advisor Regena Rafelson. “A huge number of volunteers helped out with judging, and kept us organized.”
Rosauers, Safeway, Hood River Bagel Company, Frolik, Waucoma Bookstore, Doug’s Sports, The Wine Sellers, Discover Bike Rental, 3 Rivers Grill, Doppio, and Freestyle Hair donated goods and services to the fundraising raffle or helped feed judges.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 22
- Another Voice: Community of caring, and the public issue of homelessness
- ‘Catch Me If You Can’ opens next weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 22
- Bridging Marine Park
- Death café at the library Oct. 26
- Halloween’s a Coming: Your Guide to Fun Oct. 29-31
- What’s the BUZZ on pollinators?
- Q and A: HR City Council candidate question and answer
- Sports Briefs for Oct. 22
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge