Hawks soccer on a roll

Horizon hosted and beat Corbett and City Christian this week

October 15, 2005

The Horizon soccer team is on a roll. After facing and defeating two of their league’s best teams this week, the Hawks, now 4-2-1 overall, are close in the running for the district title.

Their first game of the week was a nail-biter, with Horizon trailing Corbett by one goal for most of the game.

In the second half the Hawks shined. They turned the game around fast, they took control, and with momentum on their side, the Hawks scored two goals in the half to take the lead and the win away from Corbett.

“We learned that we have to give teams more pressure so they make the mistakes for us to capitalize on,” said Coach Mark Lago. “Our energy in the second half spread like wildfire and pretty soon the entire team was fired up.”

Scoring for the Hawks were Jared Nagreen and Kent Ueland, while goalie Cameron Root came up with 10 saves.

The second game this week was key to keeping momentum on Horizon’s side. In an even more suspenseful match up against an undefeated City Christian squad, the score was tied 0-0 until the final minutes of the second half.

David Rovianek got a piece of the ball in the penalty box. It rolled past the keeper and into the net, to the delight of a large crowd of loyal Hawk fans.

Horizon then peppered the goal with a series of strong drives. The game ended shortly after Rovianek’s goal, with a final score of 1-0.

The win was a total team effort, with every player on the field contributing.

“The great thing about the team,” Lago commented, “is that everyone is playing together at the same level instead of just one or two go-to-guys.”

Chipping in for the shut-out was a strong defensive line shut down most of City Christian’s scoring opportunities.

Root several key saves, especially late in the second half, that held the Hawks lead.

Latest stories

Latest video:

Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive

The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge

Log in to comment