Wednesday, November 9, 2005
October 19, 2005
The fifth annual “Eat Dessert First” pie contest returns Saturday, with three $1,000 prizes for Best Apple Pie, Best Pear Pie and Best Baked Fruit Dessert.
The fourth annual event benefits Helping Hands Women’s Shelter. Pie slices will be sold after the contest, with proceeds for Helping Hands.
All fruit used in the contest must be grown in Hood River County. Entry is $10 per pie. Judging starts at 10 a.m. at 12th and Belmont.
Entry forms are available at Shortt Supply, 1414 12th St. on the Heights, or by calling 386-5474.
More like this story
- Library Foundation issues a fundraising challenge now through June 30
- Public records, marriage permits, May 2016
- Look for a full First Friday on June 3
- Entertainment Update for June 1
- Letters to the Editor for May 28
- Mercado del Valle opens June 2 in new location
- Marble and Shepherd are Elks Students of the Month for May
- Riverside UCC votes for fossil fuel divestment
- Sheriff Log, May 15 to 22
- Community Baby Shower June 4
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge