Thursday, November 10, 2005
October 29, 2005
Steven Betts is the newest Eagle Scout with Troop 741 of St. Mary’s Church.
Betts received the Eagle Badge at his Eagle Court of Honor on Sept. 15.
Betts had completed Cub Scouts with the Arrow of Light award, the highest award in Cub Scouts, seven years ago. He then joined Boy Scouts and methodically progressed through the ranks, Tenderfoot to Life Scout, according to Scoutmaster Larry Broschart.
Betts participated in backpacking Goat Rocks and the Wallowa Mountains, and snow camping at White River. He participated in Scouting for food, Goodwill Good turn clothing drives, and visiting the Care Center.
As Life Scout, Betts was elected Senior Patrol Leader (highest position in Scouts). He then completed his Eagle project and earned all 21 merit badges.
The Eagle project was to make a handicap access to the Indian Creek Trail. The access is located just south of the grandstand at Hood River Valley High School. Betts’ future plans are to attend Oregon State University.
More like this story
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
- YoHOHs spread summer cheer
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge