Monday, April 10, 2006
News staff writer
March 15, 2006
Mt. Hood Meadows was the site of the annual Mt. Hood Championship GS on March 5th.
After the snow had fallen all night, racers were greeted with partly cloudy skies.
The long giant slalom course was set on Middle Fork, using the rolling terrain to challenge skiers young and old.
Once again, Cooper Spur Race Team's 7- to 8-year-old boys took charge, with Montana Kurahara winning his second race in a row.
Hunter Kern was close behind in 3rd and William Lamer in 5th. Younger brothers Mitchell Lamer and Dakota Kurahara placed 2nd and 3rd respectively in the 6 and under boys division.
Korey Cimock took charge on her 2nd run to place 6th in the 9-10 girls age group.
This race lets the younger skiers shine, since any racers who qualify for Buddy Werner's races are not eligible to enter.
The Spring Festival will be the last Mitey Mite race of the season on March 18 and 19, to be held at Ski Bowl.
6 AND UNDER GIRLS: 6th — Chloe Kurahara
7 AND 8 GIRLS: 6th — Kelli Clarke, 7th — Ellie Truax, 13th —Casey Holzman
9 AND 10 GIRLS: 6th — Korey Cimock, 8th — Hailey Kern, 10th — Kaili Duffy, 13th — Lucy McLean, 17th — Allie Spadaro
11 AND 12 GIRLS: 8th — Alix Melton
6 AND UNDER BOYS: 2nd — Mitchell Lamer, 3rd — Dakota Kurahara, 7th — Levi Geller
7 AND 8 BOYS: 1st — Montana Kurahara, 3rd - Hunter Kern, 4th —William Lamer, 5th — Zach Mikkelson, 7th — Kellan Duffy, 9th — Austin Keillor, 13th — Nicolas Bergen
9 AND 10 BOYS: 15th — Cooper Holzman
More like this story
- Library Tree
- Yesteryears: Phase one of new skate park slated to begin in September 1996
- Around the Gorge: Genealogy and more scheduled for Gorge-area venues
- ‘Rock, Paper, Scissors’ Friday
- Archers urged beware of fire dangers, note new regulations
- Idlewilde Cemetery ‘residents’ are not forgotten, thanks to Cemetery Tales
- Roots and Branches: Drums, song carry Minoru Yasui’s message forward
- Washington responders to get notice of oil train shipments
- Oregon Poet Laureate advising Celilo Park project
- Historic Highway trail piece opens Sept. 24
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge