Friday, April 21, 2006
News staff writer
April 8, 2006
The Hood River County School District brings a unique program to the valley April 13-14.
“Rachel’s Challenge” is a national campaign designed to help school administrators, parents and students create safer and more productive places to learn and achieve.
The program is based on an essay entitled, “My Ethics, My Codes of Life,” written by Rachel Joy Scott, one of the students killed at Columbine High School near Denver, Colo., on April 20, 1999. Two students, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, carried out a shooting rampage that day, killing 12 students and a teacher and wounding 24 others before committing suicide. It remains the deadliest school shooting in U.S. history.
Rachel’s Challenge was founded by her father, Darrell Scott, as a way to motivate and equip students to embrace values of kindness and compassion so that no child becomes alienated because of fear and violence in their school.
The program includes assemblies at Hood River Middle School (April 13) and Wy’east Middle School (April 14), as well as evening events on those days open to the community (April 13, Hood River Middle School, 7 p.m.; April 14, Wy’east Middle School, 7 p.m.).
In the past seven years, Darrell Scott has spoken to more than 5 million people in schools, conferences and forums around the world. He has authored or co-authored five books and meets regularly with politicians and educators concerning issues of school violence.
For more information on Rachel’s Challenge, contact Bob Dais at Hood River Middle School at 386-2114, or Catherine Dalbey at Wy’east Middle School at 354-1548.
More like this story
- Service announcements for Oct. 3
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge