Friday, April 21, 2006
News staff writer
April 8, 2006
The Hood River County School District brings a unique program to the valley April 13-14.
“Rachel’s Challenge” is a national campaign designed to help school administrators, parents and students create safer and more productive places to learn and achieve.
The program is based on an essay entitled, “My Ethics, My Codes of Life,” written by Rachel Joy Scott, one of the students killed at Columbine High School near Denver, Colo., on April 20, 1999. Two students, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, carried out a shooting rampage that day, killing 12 students and a teacher and wounding 24 others before committing suicide. It remains the deadliest school shooting in U.S. history.
Rachel’s Challenge was founded by her father, Darrell Scott, as a way to motivate and equip students to embrace values of kindness and compassion so that no child becomes alienated because of fear and violence in their school.
The program includes assemblies at Hood River Middle School (April 13) and Wy’east Middle School (April 14), as well as evening events on those days open to the community (April 13, Hood River Middle School, 7 p.m.; April 14, Wy’east Middle School, 7 p.m.).
In the past seven years, Darrell Scott has spoken to more than 5 million people in schools, conferences and forums around the world. He has authored or co-authored five books and meets regularly with politicians and educators concerning issues of school violence.
For more information on Rachel’s Challenge, contact Bob Dais at Hood River Middle School at 386-2114, or Catherine Dalbey at Wy’east Middle School at 354-1548.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for June 21
- Another Voice: New legislation is win-win for community college students
- Fight leads to reported stabbing in Cascade Locks
- Former Hood River resident dies in wreck on I-84
- Columbia sturgeon season returns
- High Prairie Firehouse Sale back this weekend
- Roots and Branches: High energy children and the belief to succeed
- Entertainment Update for June 21
- Loretta and Patsy: Together Again
- Sports briefs for June 21
Hood River Valley High School graduation 2017
Scenes from graduation of the class of 2017 at Hood River Valley High School Enlarge