Thursday, August 17, 2006
By BEN MCCARTY
News staff writer
August 9, 2006
Although the weather may not feel like it yet, the fall preps sports season is just around the corner. Back to school sales have started at the local stores and that means that it’s time for pre-season sports practices.
Football camp for 9-12th graders begins next week in preparation for twice a day practices the following week. Both boys and girls soccer will be holding camps next week.
The boys’ camp will go Aug. 14-17 from 5:30-7 p.m. at Westside elementary school with daily doubles starting Aug. 21 and going for two weeks from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Monday-Friday. They will also be held at Westside Elementary.
Girls’ soccer also has a camp for high school girls next week, Aug. 15-18, from 9-11:30 a.m. at Westside Elementary.
Official soccer practice will be the following week, Aug. 21-25 from 9-11:30 a.m. also at Westside.
Volleyball will be holding its first official open gyms beginning Aug 14 and running all week from 4:30-6:30 p.m.
For parents of fall student-athletes there will be an informational meeting in the Bowe Theatre at HRVHS on Aug. 15 at 7 p.m.
More like this story
- Boys soccer goes on the road and ties Hermiston
- Sports briefs for Oct. 21
- Kegler's Corner: Buck and Miller Shine
- Taste of Tsuruta benefit dinner Nov. 4 at Mt. Hood Winery
- HRVAC hosts harvest dinner Oct. 21
- Mosier Senior Center hosts Harvest Fair
- Blacksmith Bob Denman at District Garden Club meeting Oct. 28
- ‘Gen Silent’ film, workshop on Oct. 25
- ‘Gender, Dignity and Freedom’ Oct. 24: Gender identity panel
- Sheriff Log, Oct. 8 to 14
Sixth Annual Harvest Fest Pie Eating Contest
The sixth annual Pie Eating Contest at Hood River Harvest Fest is sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce and HRVHS youth service group Leaders for Tomorrow. HRVHS student Dylan Polewczyk won the 1-minute fruit-pie eating event. Key rule, as stated by Chamber President Jason Shaner, “You have to eat the pie, you can’t just dislocate it. We will be checking for pie dislocation.” Enlarge