Thursday, August 17, 2006
By MARK GIBSON
The Dalles Chronicle
August 2, 2006
In 1999, Glenn Pierce, Wasco County environmental health specialist and Art Braun, owner of The Dalles Disposal property, met together for the first time to find a way to properly dispose of hazardous waste in the Wasco, Sherman and Hood River counties.
Seven years and five grants later, the Tri-County Household Hazardous Waste Program became a reality, with sites opening July 29 in The Dalles and Aug. 12 in Hood River and collection events planned in Moro, Mosier and Cascade Locks.
County residents are encouraged to bring products bearing “Warning,” “Caution” or “Poison” to the collection events for proper disposal. Disposal is free to county residents.
Items collected include oil- based paint and stains, septic drain and oven cleaners, gasoline and other fuels, pool and spa chemicals, pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers and other poisons, antifreeze and other automotive fluids, thinners and solvents, household cleaners and disinfectants, household batteries, art and hobby chemicals, aerosol spray products, propane tanks or bottles and fluorescent lamps and ballasts.
Items not accepted include explosives, radioactive materials, asbestos, needles and latex paint. Latex paint is relatively nontoxic, and can be reused, given away or dried out and disposed of normally.
The collections are for household hazardous wastes only. Business and agriculturally generated wastes will be accepted beginning Feb. 1, 2007.
Additional collections are planned as follows:
* In Moro on Friday, Sept. 8 on County Shop Road, Fourth and Hood Streets, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
* The Dalles on Saturday, Sept. 9, The Dalles Disposal, 1317 W. First, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
* Mosier on Saturday, Sept. 23, Mosier Community School (tentative), 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
* Hood River, Saturday Oct. 21, Hood River Garbage, 3440 Guignard Drive, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
* Cascade Locks, Saturday, Nov. 4, Sewage Treatment Plant, 105 Herman Creek Lane, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
More like this story
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
- YoHOHs spread summer cheer
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge