Thursday, August 17, 2006
By BEN MCCARTY
News staff writer
July 29, 2006
The Lady Eagles 3-on-3 basketball team took on all comers, including a men’s squad, to win its division at the July Madness 3 on 3 tournament in Sandy last Saturday.
The team of Rachel Perry, Rachael Mallon and Audrey Mallon combined to compete in three games at the annual tournament.
In the first game the Lady Eagles had to play a high school men’s team due to the lack of ladies teams.
The male team, V-Unit, defeated the Lady Eagles, and eventually made its way to the finals.
In the second game the Lady Eagles took on the Average Joes, which came with four players, and used this to their advantage by substituting constantly to beat the scorching weekend heat. Even though they led most of the game, in the end the Lady Eagles could not hold off the Average Joes.
In their final game, the Lady Eagles matched up against a squad from Sandy High School, and were able to prevail to claim tournament honors.
More like this story
- Boys soccer goes on the road and ties Hermiston
- Sports briefs for Oct. 21
- Kegler's Corner: Buck and Miller Shine
- Taste of Tsuruta benefit dinner Nov. 4 at Mt. Hood Winery
- HRVAC hosts harvest dinner Oct. 21
- Mosier Senior Center hosts Harvest Fair
- Blacksmith Bob Denman at District Garden Club meeting Oct. 28
- ‘Gen Silent’ film, workshop on Oct. 25
- ‘Gender, Dignity and Freedom’ Oct. 24: Gender identity panel
- Sheriff Log, Oct. 8 to 14
Sixth Annual Harvest Fest Pie Eating Contest
The sixth annual Pie Eating Contest at Hood River Harvest Fest is sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce and HRVHS youth service group Leaders for Tomorrow. HRVHS student Dylan Polewczyk won the 1-minute fruit-pie eating event. Key rule, as stated by Chamber President Jason Shaner, “You have to eat the pie, you can’t just dislocate it. We will be checking for pie dislocation.” Enlarge