Tuesday, August 29, 2006
News staff writer
August 19, 2006
Highway 35 will open intermittently beginning at 9 p.m. Aug. 17. A community meeting on the re-opening will be held at 4 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 17 at the Mt. Hood Cultural Center & Museum in Government Camp.
There will be a community meeting in Parkdale at 4 p.m. at the Parkdale community center.
The schedule for the highway’s reopening will be:
From 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.: Public travel on Highway 35 will be allowed with restrictions. There will be no stopping along Highway 35 between Cooper Spur Road and the Forest Service Road 48 junction.
From 7 a.m. to 9 a.m.: Highway 35 will be closed to public traffic between Cooper Spur Road and Forest Service Road 48.
From 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.: Pilot cars will shuttle traffic through the fire zone between Milepost 67 (Pocket Creek) and Milepost 71 ( north of Forest Service Road 44).
The road to Mt. Hood Meadows and Cloud Cap Inn/Tilly Jane will remain closed. However, the road up to Cooper Spur Inn at the roadblock is open.
As a result of this change, Forest Road 48 from Highway 35 to Wamic is open as well as those roads accessing Boulder Lake ( 4880 -120, 121, and 123), and Badger Lake (4860 from the 48 to the 48-140 including the trail to Boulder Lake).
All other road and trail closures will remain in effect until rescinded by the Mt. Hood National Forest.
More like this story
- Fire near Eagle Creek flares back up
- Service announcements for July 22:
- YESTERYEARS: New Safeway store on Second and Cascade expected in 1947
- Pritchett, Haskins to wed
- Roots and Branches: Cherry Harvest
- Pick of the Week: Children’s Park public meeting July 20
- Travelogue: Panama
- Another Voice: Juntos program ‘critical to success of students in their education’
- Editor's Notebook: By George, one’s own name is a basic sweet spot in your sense of identity
- Letters to the Editor for July 19
Peter Marbach hurries to save his tent from the wind
Peter Marbach comes to the rescue of his wind blown tent. Enlarge