Saturday, December 2, 2006
By BEN MCCARTY
News staff writer
November 11, 2006
The Horizon boys soccer team came within one win of a state playoff berth this year.
The team often surprised larger opponents, and even surprised its coach.
At the beginning of the season Mark Lago was wondering if his team’s young defense could hold together, and if he had enough offensive firepower to make a playoff run.
“I was pleasantly surprised,” Lago said. “Back in September I thought we might be in the middle of the league, and by the end of the season we were playing for the league title.”
Several members of the team were rewarded with slots on the all-league team for Columbia River District 2.
Stephen Stenberg and Cameron Root were both named to the first team, with Root being declared the top goalkeeper in the league.
Nicholas Dietz was named to the second team, and Josh Boyden, Jake Johnson and Phillip Stenberg received honorable mentions.
Stephen Stenberg was voted team MVP by his teammates and Johnson was named most improved player.
Josh Boyden received the team’s Christian Character award and David Rovianek received the coach’s award.
Next season the team will have to find a way to replace its MVP, starting goalkeeper, and Dietz, who provided a burst of instant offense when he joined the team after coming from Chile in an exchange program.
“It’s going to a whole different look next year,” Lago said. “It will be a very, very young team next season.”
But he added:“Year in and year out they climb the (learning) curve well.”
More like this story
- Back to school for students in Hood River County
- Cascade Observations: Looking back, looking ahead
- HRV Health Center opens
- Wine takes center stage this week, weekend
- Yesteryears: Cornerstone laid at new St. Mark’s in 1925
- Entertainment Update for Sept. 2
- Columbia Gorge Discovery Center dedicates renewable energy exhibit
- Pet of the Week: Angelina loves car rides, long walks
- Public Records — Marriage Permits, July 31 to Aug. 31
- Sheriff's Log, Aug. 23 to 30
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge