Saturday, December 23, 2006
News staff writer
November 29, 2006
The Hood River Valley Adult Center has announced that it is prepared to start providing Meals on Wheels service in Cascade Locks on Dec. 1.
Delivery will begin as soon as a minimum 30 daily meals have been ordered and drivers have been identified.
The center is partnering with Cascade Locks Community Church to establish routes throughout the town to provide hot, nutritious meals on a daily basis to seniors and/or persons with disabilities. The meals are designed to meet at least one-third of the daily nutritional requirements of older adults as outlined by the National Council on Aging. The center also is able to provide a diabetic option.
The Adult Center receives no funding from any local, state, or federal government agencies and relies solely on the nominal cost of $3 per meal, fund raising, and donations from the community.
Donations toward helping the seniors of Cascade Locks can be sent to: Hood River Senior Citizens Inc., 2010 Sterling Place, Hood River, OR 97031.
Please indicate your donation is for Cascade Locks and all funds will be reserved for the needy there. To further assist the Adult Center with this endeavor, a weekly rummage sale will be held on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The location is Meals on Wheels Rummage Sale, 110 S.W. WaNaPa, #2, in Cascade Locks. For meals program signup or to volunteer, call the Adult Center at 386-2060.
More like this story
- Columbia Gorge Express bus starts Memorial Day weekend
- Missing woman reported, last seen in Stevenson
- Mad Hatter’s Tea Party fun
- Memorial Day Weekend events … and beyond
- DRAGON DASH
- Acute story
- Memorial Day service, May 29 at Idlewilde
- Sports briefs for May 27
- Columbia Gorge Genealogical Society meets June 10 at Discovery Center
- The Dalles museums offer free admission for military
Hood River firefighters battle Heights blaze
Hood River firefighters tackled an early morning fire at an answering service in the Heights Wednesday morning. The 1 a.m fire was caused by an electrical panel and eventually gutted the office. Enlarge