Wednesday, February 8, 2006
February 1, 2006
Dr. Stephen Bezruchka speaks at two events this weekend in Hood River.
On Saturday, at 7:30 p.m., La Clinica del Cariño sponsors a presentation by Bezruchka (“bezz - ROOCH – kuh”).
The Seattle health care reform advocate visited Hood River last May for Providence’s “Covering the Uninsured” day.
Dr. Bezruchka’s topic will be “Damaged Care: What Do We Get with Our Health Care Spending?” His talk will be at Riverside Community Church, Fourth and State streets.
Bezruchka has also been interviewed on Oregon Public Radio’s “Alternative Radio” segment.
He is a physician and senior lecturer in the School of Public Health and Community Medicine at the University of Washington. He received UW’s Outstanding Teacher Award in 2002.
On Sunday, Bezruchka will speak at the Gorge Ecumenical Ministries’ annual awards dinner, 5 p.m. at Soul Café.
La Clinica director Daniel Ward said Bezruchka is “a physician with a persuasive critique of the American system of health care. He’s an engaging, knowledgeable, and talented guy.
“His messages are timely, especially here in Oregon, where the innovative Oregon Health Plan has collapsed, and the coming gubernatorial race will likely turn on health care policy issues.”
On May 4, 2005, Bezruchka told his audience at Hood River’s Down Manor, “to have a healthy adult life, what happens in the earliest months is so important; we have to structure early life for better outcomes.”
Economic justice is the key to forging a holistic remedy to the health care needs of the United States, according to Bezruchka. He urged Americans to work toward “caring and sharing” public policies.”
More like this story
- ‘Weather Spotters’ training comes to CL
- Service announcement for Nov. 22 edition: Ned Marshall
- Death notices for Nov. 22 edition: Gerald Hopsicker, Nobi Akiyama and Westlake Cannon
- Columbia Gorge Hotel turns on its lights Nov. 25
- Betty and Kenny Short celebrate 65 years
- HRVHS Speech and Debate finds tournament success
- Rocket building class Nov. 22
- Business Notes for Nov. 18
- Church News: Interfaith Thanksgiving service Nov. 20 in White Salmon
- Northwest author pens book of hunting stories
Bagpipers perform at Fall Simple Gifts
The Portland Guard pipers prepare and then perform at the Fall Simple Gifts concert at Riverside Church Enlarge