Tuesday, January 31, 2006
January 18, 2006
This winter Mt. Hood Meadows Ski Area is hosting a series of free jibbing competitions called Archer and Los Full Sail Sunday Sessions. The sessions, sponsored by Full Sail Brewing, take place every other Sunday at the base area of Meadows. They are free and open to skiers and snowboarders of all ages.
Three Sunday Sessions remain this season: Jan. 29, Feb. 12 and Feb. 26. The one-hour, jam-format competitions give local riders the rare chance to perform in front of a crowd. They will also give the winners of each of the three remaining events a spot in an event of their choice in the upcoming 2006 Vegetate.
Archer and Los are longtime Mt. Hood snowboarders — and local legends in their own rights — Carlos Valdez and Mike Archer. The two, with the help of Mt. Hood Meadows’ event staff, created Sunday Sessions after the success of a base-area competition held during Vegetate a couple of years ago.
“It took off so well, we felt like something like that should be at the base area more often,” said Meadows’ Marketing Director Dave Tragethon. “It creates a festive, special-event atmosphere. It showcases talent and puts them front and center in front of spectators. To have them (Archer and Los) included means a great deal to many of our participants.”
About 25 riders entered the Jan. 15 Sunday Session. And in front of literally thousands of skiers and snowboarders at the mountain that afternoon, the riders put on quite a show. With Archer and Los as judges, participants had an hour to hike up and take down as many runs as possible. The course featured a long straight rail, a pyramid rail, a kicker rail and a massive quarter-pipe at the bottom.
This week’s winner was Salem rider Cris Blattner. Who will it be next Sunday?
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge