Tuesday, January 31, 2006
January 21, 2006
The Hood River Valley girls hosted Dallas High School Wednesday evening for a makeup game left over from Christmas break. After holding off a Dragon comeback attempt in the fourth quarter, the Eagles came away with a 67-54 victory for their third win in a row and one of the team’s best looking games of the season.
Chelsey Elliott came out on fire, scoring 14 of the Eagles’ 20 points in the first quarter. She would finish with 23 points.
“Our victories over the weekend (against Summit and Mountain View) were more defensive, whereas Wednesday night’s game was won with fireworks,” Coach Phil Hukari commented. “The only negative aspect of the evening were turnovers — many of which were unforced — that let the Dallas girls make a couple of quick runs to kept the Eagles from closing out the game in an easier fashion.”
The Eagles had an excellent scoring spread, with four girls scoring in the double digits. They also had an improved shooting percentage, including going 16 for 22 from the line. Abby Walters shot a perfect six for six in free throws.
“Improved free throw production has played an important role in our three-game winning streak,” said Hukari.
The girls took their game on the road Friday to Redmond High School to face the Panthers, who are 1-5 in the conference.
HRV 20 14 18 15 67
Dallas 11 14 17 12 54
Chelsey Elliott 23 points
Meredith Danko 21 points
Jamie Abbott 10 points
Abby Walters 10 points
More like this story
- HRV’s House: Henderson Community Stadium celebrates its 20th anniversary
- Gorge Soup adds ‘Visual Arts’ event
- Mosqueda, Weber wed in railside ceremony
- Helicopter photos: Graves, Krenz marry
- Clark, Engel marry in Pine Grove
- All you need is ... to come on the Magical History Tour
- Yesteryears: Lower valley apple harvest in full swing in 1945
- Fruit and Craft Fair adds ranch sorting and other events
- Harvest Quilt fundraiser on now
- Kegler's Corner: Jeff Furlong stars at Orchard Lanes
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge