Tuesday, July 11, 2006
By ESTHER K. SMITH
News staff writer
June 28, 2006
The first-ever “Idol Night in the Gorge” Relay for Life benefit drew a roomful of people to the Elks lodge to see 11 singing acts vie for the Gorge Idol title and to enjoy wine tasting, appetizers and a silent auction.
Winning first place by popular vote — not by process of elimination by acid-tongued judges, as in the television show — was 12-year-old Makenzie Bassham, who sang “Baby Girl.” In second place was Randall Jex, and in third place was the husband/wife team of Justin Kelley and Tara Schifter-Kelley.
The youngest contestants were sisters Kathryn and Rebeka Wagner, 5 and 7 (whose mom, Jessica, was also a contestant); and 10-year-old Jacob Mears and 11-year-old Scott Bergstrom also vied for the title. The other entrants were Shelbi Hagerstrom, Nita MacDougall, Jennifer Russell, and Marilyn Scott.
American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life event will begin at 9 a.m. Saturday, July 15, and end 24 hours later, on Sunday, July 16. Organizers are seeking cancer survivors to be honored at the event.
A special survivor lap is scheduled for 10 a.m. with lunch provided by Subway at 11:30 a.m. Contact Kayla Monahan at 352-7330 or 806-1533 to register or to receive additional information regarding activities for survivors.
Luminarias to honor those with cancer will be lit at 10 p.m. during the relay. Purchase luminaries by contacting Pam Webster at (509) 493-4540. Forms will be available at all businesses listed above.
If you are interested in starting a team, please contact Terry Joyer at 386-5467 or Brandi Nelson at (509) 493-1468. A Relay message line, 387-5882, is available 24 hours a day.
More like this story
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
- YoHOHs spread summer cheer
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge