Tuesday, July 18, 2006
By ADAM LAPIERRE
News staff writer
July 8, 2006
Many of the best snowboarders in the world will shred the summer snow of Timberline this weekend during the third annual Burton Abominable Snow Jam. The event, which will run from July 8-10, will feature a quarterpipe, halfpipe and slopestyle competition, where riders will compete for over $150,000 in prizes, including a Volvo C70, two Harley-Davidson motorcycles, two Ski-Doo snowmobiles and plenty of that good old cold hard cash.
Top name riders like Danny Davis, Danny Kass, Gretchen Bleiler, Hana Beaman, Kazuhiro Kokubo and Chad Otterstrom will throw down in what will be by far one one of the highest-level competitions to come to Oregon this year.
High Cascade Snowboard Camp will host the quarterpipe competition on Saturday and the halfpipe competition on Sunday. Both venues were designed by legendary park and pipe builder Pat Malendoski and his Planet Snow Design crew. The event will conclude on Monday with the slopestyle competition on a course built by the Timberline Resort park crew.
Tuesday and Wednesday are backup weather days, which shouldn’t be necessary since forecasts are calling for warm temperatures and mostly sunny skies all weekend.
The public is invited to turn out and watch the high flying action and enjoy the sun on the glacier, on-snow barbecues, music and more. Spectators can either walk from the parking lot to the event for free, purchase a hiker lift ticket for $12 or get a regular lift ticket (which allows ski/snowboarding and access to the Palmer chair) for $43.
For more informaiton about the 2006 Abominable Snow Jam, visit:
More like this story
- Cider Central: Cider Café opens, ’Gorge Society’ rebrands
- HR Library hosts Songwriters in the Round Sept. 16
- Entertainment Update for Sept. 5
- Labor Day: Drive with care, and take a moment to honor workers who can’t take a break
- Editor's Notebook: Will guards’ new disdain cancel refugees tickets’ aboard today’s European train?
- Police Log, Aug. 24 to 30
- Building Permits, City, August 2015
- HRV girls soccer looks to continue its winning ways
- Sports Briefs for Sept. 5
- Young team, playoff dreams for HRV volleyball
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge