Tuesday, July 18, 2006
By ADAM LAPIERRE
News staff writer
July 8, 2006
Many of the best snowboarders in the world will shred the summer snow of Timberline this weekend during the third annual Burton Abominable Snow Jam. The event, which will run from July 8-10, will feature a quarterpipe, halfpipe and slopestyle competition, where riders will compete for over $150,000 in prizes, including a Volvo C70, two Harley-Davidson motorcycles, two Ski-Doo snowmobiles and plenty of that good old cold hard cash.
Top name riders like Danny Davis, Danny Kass, Gretchen Bleiler, Hana Beaman, Kazuhiro Kokubo and Chad Otterstrom will throw down in what will be by far one one of the highest-level competitions to come to Oregon this year.
High Cascade Snowboard Camp will host the quarterpipe competition on Saturday and the halfpipe competition on Sunday. Both venues were designed by legendary park and pipe builder Pat Malendoski and his Planet Snow Design crew. The event will conclude on Monday with the slopestyle competition on a course built by the Timberline Resort park crew.
Tuesday and Wednesday are backup weather days, which shouldn’t be necessary since forecasts are calling for warm temperatures and mostly sunny skies all weekend.
The public is invited to turn out and watch the high flying action and enjoy the sun on the glacier, on-snow barbecues, music and more. Spectators can either walk from the parking lot to the event for free, purchase a hiker lift ticket for $12 or get a regular lift ticket (which allows ski/snowboarding and access to the Palmer chair) for $43.
For more informaiton about the 2006 Abominable Snow Jam, visit:
More like this story
- Marimba ‘Mid Winter Party’
- YESTERYEARS: School District No. 3 projects new high school on May Street in 1926
- Are You Ready? Survival 101
- Lyle School celebrates standout science student
- Jim Drake’s Entertainment Blog: Imagining a world with no winners and no losers
- The Ale List: Sense of Place lecture focuses on ‘hoppy history’
- Free tax help through April in HR and TD
- Sheriff Log, Jan. 24 to 31
- Police Log, Jan. 25 to 31
- Public Records: Building permits, city, January 2016