Tuesday, July 25, 2006
By SUE RYAN
News staff writer
July 15, 2006
Michael McElwee has begun work as the new executive director for the Port of Hood River.
He said his first week has been full of learning a lot of information about the port and its operations.
“I became immediately aware of how the Port operates what is, in effect, a regional park,” he said.
McElwee noted the summer season’s large recreational usage of the waterfront area but also the port’s diverse holdings, including the airport and Wasco Business Park.
He worked for the Portland Development Commission for the last 14 years. In his time there, he was the development manager for the Oregon Convention Center Urban Renewal District. His background includes economic development and waterfront planning. He has ties to the area since his wife has family in The Dalles and Cascade Locks.
More like this story
- Back to school for students in Hood River County
- Cascade Observations: Looking back, looking ahead
- HRV Health Center opens
- Wine takes center stage this week, weekend
- Yesteryears: Cornerstone laid at new St. Mark’s in 1925
- Entertainment Update for Sept. 2
- Columbia Gorge Discovery Center dedicates renewable energy exhibit
- Pet of the Week: Angelina loves car rides, long walks
- Public Records — Marriage Permits, July 31 to Aug. 31
- Sheriff's Log, Aug. 23 to 30
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge