Tuesday, July 25, 2006
By RAELYNN RICARTE
News staff writer
July 12, 2006
The American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life returns Saturday for its 10th year, and set-up will begin at 7 a.m. on the football field at Hood River Valley High School. Registration opens at 8 a.m., and at 9 the team captains will meet in the covered grandstands.
At 10 a.m., Boy Scouts will hold a flag ceremony, followed by the opening ceremony with speaker Susan Princehouse.
The Survivor Lap begins at 10:30 a.m., with a reception/lunch following for the participants.
Other activities throughout the day will include a silent auction of the team baskets (11 a.m.-2 p.m.), Locks of Love hair cutting (noon), children’s activities (1-4 p.m.), water slide (1-5 p.m.), an ice cream social (3 p.m.), scavenger hunt (5:30-6:30 p.m.), luminaria ceremony (10 p.m.), and pajama contest (11:30 p.m.).
Campsites will be judged on either of two themes: “Cat and the Hat” or cancer. Winners will be announced at 4 p.m.
A Relay Store will be open from 10:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. Luminaria sales will begin at 11 a.m. and continue until 9 p.m.
Lunch will be available from Sub Shop #15 beginning at 11:30 a.m. for a charge of $6. Juanita’s will provide a Mexican dinner at 6:30 p.m. for the same price.
The event will continue through Sunday morning with a 6 a.m. breakfast and final lap by all participants at 8:30 a.m., followed by the closing ceremony.
More like this story
- Update -- Police seeking man involved in kidnapping between Mosier, Portland
- Back to school for students in Hood River County
- Cascade Observations: Looking back, looking ahead
- HRV Health Center opens
- Wine takes center stage this week, weekend
- Yesteryears: Cornerstone laid at new St. Mark’s in 1925
- Entertainment Update for Sept. 2
- Columbia Gorge Discovery Center dedicates renewable energy exhibit
- Pet of the Week: Angelina loves car rides, long walks
- Public Records — Marriage Permits, July 31 to Aug. 31
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge