Tuesday, July 25, 2006
By RAELYNN RICARTE
News staff writer
July 12, 2006
The American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life returns Saturday for its 10th year, and set-up will begin at 7 a.m. on the football field at Hood River Valley High School. Registration opens at 8 a.m., and at 9 the team captains will meet in the covered grandstands.
At 10 a.m., Boy Scouts will hold a flag ceremony, followed by the opening ceremony with speaker Susan Princehouse.
The Survivor Lap begins at 10:30 a.m., with a reception/lunch following for the participants.
Other activities throughout the day will include a silent auction of the team baskets (11 a.m.-2 p.m.), Locks of Love hair cutting (noon), children’s activities (1-4 p.m.), water slide (1-5 p.m.), an ice cream social (3 p.m.), scavenger hunt (5:30-6:30 p.m.), luminaria ceremony (10 p.m.), and pajama contest (11:30 p.m.).
Campsites will be judged on either of two themes: “Cat and the Hat” or cancer. Winners will be announced at 4 p.m.
A Relay Store will be open from 10:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. Luminaria sales will begin at 11 a.m. and continue until 9 p.m.
Lunch will be available from Sub Shop #15 beginning at 11:30 a.m. for a charge of $6. Juanita’s will provide a Mexican dinner at 6:30 p.m. for the same price.
The event will continue through Sunday morning with a 6 a.m. breakfast and final lap by all participants at 8:30 a.m., followed by the closing ceremony.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for Sept. 30
- Vital Content: The Web would be sparse landscape without newspapers
- Love Your Columbia In CL, tribal leaders lead salmon viewing Oct. 8
- Warm Springs tribe member describes Dakota pipeline experiences Oct. 4 at RCC
- Church Notes: ‘Die Wise’ book program starts Sunday at Riverside
- Ribbon cutting at Museum
- Mediation training at Six Rivers starts Oct. 6
- May Street celebrates Walk/Bike to School Day
- Food insecurity: 'Harvesting’ art exhibit, meal and public conversation in downtown HR Oct. 7
- 12th Street opens
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge