Tuesday, June 20, 2006
By SUE RYAN
News staff writer
June 10, 2006
Hood River County commissioners set three public hearings Tuesday night at their regular session.
The public will have a chance to weigh in with their comments on the county’s 9-1-1 communications budget for 2006-07 and county’s budget for 2006-07. Both hearings will be held at 6 p.m. June 16. The commissioners also approved a hearing on the formation of a fire district for Cascade Locks after hearing from city manager Bob Willoughby.
“The need is there but obviously the ability to fund it is not,” he said.
He referred to the city’s shortfall of $50,000 to fund emergency services for fire and ambulance. The city is proposing a $1 per 1,000 levy for the fall ballot and will hear comments on the proposal at 6 p.m. July 17.
In other business, the commissioners:
* Signed an Emergency Shelter Grant Program certificate of revenue to allow Mid-Columbia Action Council, Inc., to receive grant dollars to be used in Hood River County for homeless or near homeless people.
* Approved $20,500 in funds from the general fund budget for affordable housing development services to be paid back with interest by June 30, 2007.
* Approved plans for county health insurance.
* Returned a car given to the sheriff’s department and accepted the donation of a pickup.
* Approved Measure 37 claims for Robert Thomsen and Elizabeth Thomsen, Joseph Sheirbon, Dianne Sheirbon, and Joseph Sheirbon.
More like this story
- Service announcements for Dec. 2
- Death notices for Dec. 2
- On Stage for Christmas
- Gorge Kids in Action — filling a wish list for others
- Looking for fun? Try mini-golf this weekend
- Warm gifts: Parkhurst says thank you
- Hospice Youth thanks veterans for their service
- Lions grocery contest winners announced
- Columbia Art Center ‘Nook’ features artist Steve Stegall
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 28
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge