Tuesday, June 20, 2006
By SUE RYAN
News staff writer
June 10, 2006
Hood River County commissioners set three public hearings Tuesday night at their regular session.
The public will have a chance to weigh in with their comments on the county’s 9-1-1 communications budget for 2006-07 and county’s budget for 2006-07. Both hearings will be held at 6 p.m. June 16. The commissioners also approved a hearing on the formation of a fire district for Cascade Locks after hearing from city manager Bob Willoughby.
“The need is there but obviously the ability to fund it is not,” he said.
He referred to the city’s shortfall of $50,000 to fund emergency services for fire and ambulance. The city is proposing a $1 per 1,000 levy for the fall ballot and will hear comments on the proposal at 6 p.m. July 17.
In other business, the commissioners:
* Signed an Emergency Shelter Grant Program certificate of revenue to allow Mid-Columbia Action Council, Inc., to receive grant dollars to be used in Hood River County for homeless or near homeless people.
* Approved $20,500 in funds from the general fund budget for affordable housing development services to be paid back with interest by June 30, 2007.
* Approved plans for county health insurance.
* Returned a car given to the sheriff’s department and accepted the donation of a pickup.
* Approved Measure 37 claims for Robert Thomsen and Elizabeth Thomsen, Joseph Sheirbon, Dianne Sheirbon, and Joseph Sheirbon.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for Sept. 30
- Vital Content: The Web would be sparse landscape without newspapers
- Love Your Columbia In CL, tribal leaders lead salmon viewing Oct. 8
- Warm Springs tribe member describes Dakota pipeline experiences Oct. 4 at RCC
- Church Notes: ‘Die Wise’ book program starts Sunday at Riverside
- Ribbon cutting at Museum
- Mediation training at Six Rivers starts Oct. 6
- May Street celebrates Walk/Bike to School Day
- Food insecurity: 'Harvesting’ art exhibit, meal and public conversation in downtown HR Oct. 7
- 12th Street opens
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge