Friday, March 3, 2006
News staff writer
February 22, 2006
The Hood River Valley High School boys’ basketball team traveled to Summit High School on Friday, while the girls went south Saturday to play Mountain View High School.
The boys pulled off a slight upset over the Storm, beating them 65-62 in their home gym. After falling behind by six points in the first quarter, the Eagles rallied in the second to outscore the home team 26 points to four. The Eagles were then outscored in the third by two points and by nine points in the fourth, but their blowout second quarter was enough to take the win.
Highlights from the game include Jon Ing shooting three for four from the three point line and scoring 20 points, Tim Chance and Juan Zuniga scoring 12 points each and KC Christensen scoring 15 points. The boys also shot 79 percent from the free throw line.
The girls had a rougher game against the Intermountain Conference’s number two team, the Cougars. The girls lost 70-42. After falling behind by 10 points in the first quarter, they were unable to make a comeback and the Cougars steadily pulled away with the game.
Scoring highlights for the Eagles include Chelsey Elliott with nine points, Abby Walters and Kayla Monahan with eight each and Brianne Rowley with seven.
More like this story
- Library Tree
- Yesteryears: Phase one of new skate park slated to begin in September 1996
- Around the Gorge: Genealogy and more scheduled for Gorge-area venues
- ‘Rock, Paper, Scissors’ Friday
- Archers urged beware of fire dangers, note new regulations
- Idlewilde Cemetery ‘residents’ are not forgotten, thanks to Cemetery Tales
- Roots and Branches: Drums, song carry Minoru Yasui’s message forward
- Washington responders to get notice of oil train shipments
- Oregon Poet Laureate advising Celilo Park project
- Historic Highway trail piece opens Sept. 24
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge