Wednesday, March 15, 2006
By ADAM LAPIERRE
News staff writer
March 4, 2006
For most wrestlers, the end of the season is cause for a massive sigh and a week or so of relaxing afternoons before moving on to the next item the long list of any student athlete, which may or may not include freestyle and Greco training. Hood River Valley High School senior Jose Ramirez will have two such sighs this year, as his collegiate season has been prolonged for another couple of weeks after his appearance at the state meet two weeks ago.
Ramirez, who recently finished as the 112 pound Intermountain Conference district champion, was named this week to the Oregon All-Star Wrestling Team, which will face the Californian All-Star Team in a dual at Southern Oregon University on March 11.
The Oregon All-Star Team is made up of the top senior wrestlers from across the state in each weight class. Ramirez was selected for the team by Harry Mondale of Phoenix High School in Southern Oregon.
“As a coach, I am really proud of Jose,” said HRVHS varsity wrestling coach Rich Polkinghorn. “It is a huge honor to be selected among the best high school seniors in the state. This is a great honor for Jose and for Hood River Valley Wrestling.”
More like this story
- Yesteryears: Cooper’s Spur Road completed in 1926
- ‘Age of Dignity’ discussion series starts Oct. 22
- Advocacy Center holds fundraiser Oct. 22
- Roots and Branches: Find and use your tools
- Columbia Gorge Peace Village hosts film
- WS Library holds ‘Boys in the Boat’ talk Oct. 22
- Gorge receives national honor this weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 19
- ‘Mayerdale Place’ program Oct. 21
- County continues marijuana hearings
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge