Wednesday, May 24, 2006
News staff writer
April 29, 2006
Hood River County mailed out 10,880 ballots to registered voters on Friday and the countdown officials begins for the May 16 primary election.
Sandra Berry, elections supervisor, asks that ballots be marked only with pencil and signed by the official recipient. She said damaged or destroyed forms can be replaced prior to mailing by calling 387-4522.
She said it is too late for new voter registrations or to change a political party. But members of the electorate can still request a change of address.
All ballots must be returned by 8 p.m. on May 16. A drop-slot for added convenience is available near the front door at 601 State Street.
The ballots will winnow down the field of candidates in contested partisan races. Voters will choose one candidate from the Democratic and Republican parties to advance on to the Nov. 7 general election. In nonpartisan races, if an individual takes 50 percent plus one of the vote, that person will have his/her name singly listed on the fall ballot.
Of particular interest to local voters is the three-way race for the at-large position of Hood River County Commission Chair. District 2 Commissioner Maui Meyer is listed on the ballot, along with challenger Paul Nevin, a Hood River resident. Running as a write-in candidate is Parkdale orchardist Ron Rivers.
More like this story
- Church News: Updated Vacation Bible School list
- Death notices for June 25: Dorothy McPherren and Victoria Long
- Yesteryears: 911 comes to Hood River County in 1986
- Mt. Hood Town Hall Summer BBQ
- Oregon Trail Tea Time
- ‘Art in the Gorge’ show in Hood River July 1-3
- Cascade Observations: Making New Friends, Keeping the Old
- History links Mike’s (30 years) and Tum-A-Lum (110)
- Parkdale mason crafts new ‘masterpiece’ at Cape Horn
- Portland leaders ask governors to ban oil-by-rail
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge