Wednesday, October 11, 2006
By RAELYNN RICARTE
News staff writer
September 20, 2006
Hood River County emergency responders will participate in a drill on Saturday that centers on a mock terrorist attack.
The disaster-preparedness training takes place at the Odell fairgrounds from 9 a.m. to noon. A full-scale exercise simulates a radiological incident along Interstate 84.
“A major disaster requires all of us to get together and pool our resources to get things done. So, this is a good opportunity to test what we have in the way of equipment and how it works,” said Hood River County Sheriff Joe Wampler.
Joining his deputies and emergency dispatchers in the exercise will be: Hood River Fire Department, City of Cascade Locks, Parkdale and Odell fire districts, Providence Hood River Memorial Hospital and Mid-Columbia Medical Center. State and federal support organizations will also be on the scene to lend assistance. And area Boy Scout troops will play the role of victims.
The drill focuses on the overall response and decision-making processes. It is intended to increase readiness among public health, emergency management and safety agencies for a real disaster.
Wampler said Hood River County emergency workers want to avoid the communication issues that reigned on the Gulf Coast during the devastation of Hurricane Katrina in 2005.
More like this story
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
- YoHOHs spread summer cheer
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge