Thursday, September 28, 2006
By BEN MCCARTY
News staff writer
September 13, 2006
Area prep teams found themselves fairly busy over the weekend, competing in tournaments and jamborees both near and far. Horizon and Cascade Locks soccer teams both took part in the 7th annual Kickoff Jamboree at Horizon on Saturday. Horizon defeated Cascade Locks 1-0 in the first game for both teams.
Cascade Locks fell to Southwest, 2-0 in the first afternoon game and dropped its final game of the day to Open Door, 1-0.
After beating the Pirates in the opening game, Horizon was also victimized 1-0 by Open Door. In the final game of the jamboree the Hawks put away Southwest 2-1.
Meanwhile, at the Centennial Jamboree at Centennial High School, the Hood River boys’ soccer team came away 1-0-2.
In the first game, the Eagles tied Forest Grove 1-1, beat Centennial 3-0 in the second and tied Milwaukie in the third 1-1.
“It was encouraging that we beat the one team from our conference,” Coach Doug Beveridge said. “We are hoping that bodes well for the season.”
Beveridge said that several players stood out, including Moe Bruckman and Ernesto Marquez.
The girls’ soccer team was also in action at the Centennial jamboree; however, they did not keep track of results.
In Southridge, the Hood River volleyball team got in some much-needed experience at the Southridge Tournament. In their first match the Eagles split two games with McMinnville, then dropped two games to Benson.
They then split two games with Valley Catholic in the third match. Sent into the consolation bracket, the Eagles pushed Roosevelt to a decisive third game before falling 18-16 in the final.
“We were only one play away from the consolation final which was amazing considering how tired and out of gas we were,” Coach Scott Walker said.
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge