Tuesday, February 6, 2007
By RAELYNN RICARTE
News staff writer
January 24, 2007
Sen. Rick Metsger, D-Welches, has been on a tour of the White House before — but never invited inside to a meeting.
On Feb. 9 he will arrive at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue to join the Transportation Legislative Leadership Summit.
“I don’t know yet who is going to be there,” said Metsger. “But I do know the focus will be about merging strategies to improve our national transportation systems’ performance and reliability.”
He figures the executive invitation was issued because of his experience in dealing with some of these issues. For the past eight years Metsger, whose District 26 encompasses Hood River County, has either served on or chaired the Senate Transportation Committee.
In 2003, he sponsored the Oregon Transportation Investment Act that set aside a historical $2.5 billion to replace/repair aging bridges. To date, about 200 of these structures have been upgraded to meet long-term commerce needs.
“It’s critical for our economic strength that people be able to get from here to there,” said Metsger.
He is optimistic the four-hour summit will lead to more federal dollars for state infrastructure projects. Currently, he said Oregon has eight “sites of significance” — such as the narrow Interstate 5 Bridge — that require an expensive fix.
“I’m hopeful this summit will be a starting point for ongoing discussions between state and national leaders about what can be done to better our transportation systems,” Metsger said.
More like this story
- Vandalized sign prompts security precautions at CL School Friday
- Death Notices for Oct. 1: Jack Stone, Jack Stone, Viola Wells, and Gerald Culp
- Service Announcement for Oct. 1: Calvin Peck
- Mt. Hood’s Timberline Trail reopens after upgrades
- Unemployment remains low in Hood River, Wasco Counties
- Bluegrass Jamboree celebrates 17 years
- Man drowns in Pine Hollow reservoir
- Discovery Center hosts ‘This Place’ discussion Oct. 8
- High school senior expands book box project
- All About Fall: Your guide to a bountiful, beautiful time in the Gorge
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge