Thursday, January 25, 2007
News staff writer
January 10, 2007
At the largest high school ski race in the country Hood River Valley skiers put up some large performances on Saturday.
Freshman Colton Swearingen finished fourth overall as an individual and led the HRV boys to a sixth place overall finish at the Christine Cato Memorial Race at Timberline. The girls’ varsity team, led by Kayla Lloyd, placed five racers in the top 18 finishers including Lloyd, Jessica Ostler, Claire Snelling, Ashley Kastner and Morgan Nance. Alternate racer Caley Melton was the last racer on the course and moved up 68 places to finish 46th overall.
The JV girls had Toby Carratt and Whitney Fox finish first and second overall respectively while Molly McCulloch finished fifth, Emily Kao seventh and Katherine Rouse eighth. Jannike Sletmore and Jill Goatcher, freshman in their first race, finished 23rd and 33rd overall.
The JV boys, all first time-racers, were led by senior Zach Eaton who finished 33rd.
“Overall they performed as expected and we should do well in the Mt. Hood Conference league races,” Coach Peter Nance said. “The girls are a powerhouse with incredible depth, and I expect them to lead the team to state this year.”
As a team the Eagles finished second overall among the 24 teams in the field.
More like this story
- Pick of the Week: Elks’ Oktoberfest returns Sept. 23
- Roots and Branches: There is no masking care
- YESTERYEARS: Odell Sanitation District opens bids for new plant in 1967
- Wy’east class of ’67 celebrates 50-year reunion
- Foster Parenting: Simple answers to a challenging task
- Success is one caring adult away
- Pet of the Week: Bojangles looking for an active family
- Letters to the Editor for Sept. 20 edition
- ‘Overwhelming enthusiasm’: Community comes together for firefighters
- Parkhurst Place plans ‘thank you’ this week for fire first responders
Governor visits Hood River during fire
Oregon Gov. Kate Brown visited Hood River Hotel Thursday morning, Sept. 14, discussing economic impacts of the Eagle Creek fire with local business leaders. Attendees included Sen. Chuck Thomsen, Mayor Paul Blackburn, and business representatives from Celilo Restaurant, Double Mountain Brewery and Cascade Locks' The Renewal Workshop. For updates on the fire, stay tuned at www.hoodrivernews.com. Enlarge