Tuesday, March 13, 2007
By RAELYNN RICARTE
News staff writer
February 7, 2007
The City of Hood River’s Urban Renewal Agency is requesting design proposals for banners to be displayed on the classic light poles in the downtown area.
An honorarium of $250 will be given to the winning entry in each of the following themes: spring/summer, fall, winter holidays, and winter.
Persons designing banners may submit entries for one or all four themes. Submittals from all ages, amateurs and professionals, are welcome. Entries must be delivered to the City Recorder, 301 Oak St., Hood River, not later than 4 p.m. on Thursday, March 1.
All entries must be in full color, to scale as stated below, and mounted on some form of display board, with the name, address, telephone number and e-mail address of the artist on the back of the display board.
All entries become the property of the City of Hood River. Entries will be reviewed and considered for selection by members of the City of Hood River, Columbia Center for the Arts and the Hood River Downtown Business Association.
* Banners should be designed to be hung on the classic light poles in the downtown core throughout the year.
* Each light pole supports two banners, each having a finished size of 12 inches (width) by 36 inches (height), with the design on both sides of the fabric.
* The design may contain words but should not incorporate words or images which flow from one banner to the other. The design should allow for a random pairing of banners on each light pole for ease of hanging and maintenance.
* A single design may be submitted, or a design for a series of banners. Again the design should allow for the random pairing of banners.
* Banners should be multi-purpose and not contain specific dates, as they will be used in repeated years.
* Banners should be simple in design, colorful and provide for continuity of appearance.
* Banners should incorporate a local topic or topics, such as agriculture, sports, art, scenery, history, economy or other expressions of our unique community for each of the four themes listed (spring/summer, fall, winter holidays, winter).
For more information contact Joanie Thomson at Columbia Center for the Arts, 387-8877, ext. 111.
More like this story
- Reader Photos: Enjoying the Eclipse
- Eclipse Scenes
- Pet of the Week: Roxy is happy, friendly girl
- ‘Walk with Ease’ starts in September
- ‘Terrific Tale of Thumbelina’ Aug. 25 at Arts Center
- Police Log, Aug. 7 to 13
- ‘Wheels of Hope’ nominations sought
- Letters to the Editor for Aug. 19
- EDITOR’S NOTEBOOK: Two guys, one contested parking space, two police officers: one wonders
- Church News: St. Mary’s holds retirement party for Rev. Maag
Planet Fly at Pfriem
The band Planet Fly plays at Pfriem in an outdoor concert. Enlarge