Friday, March 30, 2007
News staff writer
February 21, 2007
Erin Jones was the lone Hood River Valley High School individual swimmer to advance to Sunday’s 6A state swimming finals and finished 10th in the girls 100 freestyle with a time of 55.71.
Jones’ time was her best ever in the 100 freestyle.
Morgan Scroggy of Canby won the state title in the event, finishing in 50.78.
The Hood River boys’ 200 freestyle relay team of Zed Debbaut, Cory Coxen, Henry Hunt and Peter Debbaut finished 13th in its event, with the Newberg team winning the championship.
In Friday’s girls’ preliminaries Jones qualified for the 100 freestyle with a time of 56.23 but was eliminated from the 200 freestyle after finishing 16th with a time of 2:00.25.
On the boys’ side the 200 medley relay team was eliminated after a 14th place finish and time of 1:45.35.
Peter Debbaut was eliminated after the preliminaries in the 200 IM after a 17th place finish and time of 2:06.71.
Debbaut was also eliminated after the preliminaries in the 100 freestyle after a 16th place finish and 50.85 time.
Zed Debbaut just missed qualifying as an alternate for the 50 freestyle when he finished 15th with a time of 23.08.
The boys’ 200 medley relay time just missed qualifying in the “B” section of the finals for the event with a 14th place finish and time of 1:45.35.
Even though some of her swimmers struggled in their first experience at the 6A championships, coach Jane Nichols was content with how things turned out and has high hopes for the future.
“I was satisfied,” she said. “We’ll have a handful of juniors and seniors next year to get back.”
More like this story
- Vandalized sign prompts security precautions at CL School Friday
- Death Notices for Oct. 1: Jack Stone, Jack Stone, Viola Wells, and Gerald Culp
- Service Announcement for Oct. 1: Calvin Peck
- Mt. Hood’s Timberline Trail reopens after upgrades
- Unemployment remains low in Hood River, Wasco Counties
- Bluegrass Jamboree celebrates 17 years
- Man drowns in Pine Hollow reservoir
- Discovery Center hosts ‘This Place’ discussion Oct. 8
- High school senior expands book box project
- All About Fall: Your guide to a bountiful, beautiful time in the Gorge
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge